You can type here any text you want

Moser axles changed wheel spacing

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

toomanymodz

Well well, I learn something new every day with this car. I just installed a pair of 28 spline Moser axles, and they look very nice by the way. Anyhow, when I bolted the wheels back on I noticed that I had a bit more clearance between the tires and the frame. I'd guess about an additional 1/8 inch or so. Before there was about 3/8 clearance, with the tightest area being the back of the tire where the frame curves, I think it was about 1/4 inch there and would occasionally rub when taking a hard corner. Now it appears to be about 1/2 clearance with the tight area looking to be around 3/8. No complaints since I needed a little more room on the inside anyways.

To be sure the tires wouldn't rub I let the air out of both bags, then loaded 320 lbs of Olympic weights into the trunk. Then I pushed my weight on the bumper and bounced the car. I ended up having to trim the fender lips slightly. Now I can bounce the car onto the pinion snubber and the tires still clear.

The axles must be 1/8 longer than stock I guess. They're advertised as stock replacement. I was debating on running thin wheel spacers to gain tire clearance, but now I don't need to. Just thought I'd share.

If they are, then the brake drums are moved out, too. Since the backing plates don't move, I'd think you now have less shoe contact on the drums????

I noticed that the drums 'dragged' a little more than usual. I think the brake shoes are now riding on a small ridge. Probably should have them turned to true them up again.

Back