"MOTHBALLING" The Regal

WH1 85

Well I have decided to stop driving the T-Type. For now anyways.

My intent was always to do a frame off build on the car. So it's going over to my brothers to be parked for a while. I estimate that it will be at least a year before I actually begin to take the car itself apart. In the meantime it will have to be stored outside.

Looking for suggestions on this type of long term storage. Like what fluids should I drain or leave in. Should it be up on stands, Tips on interior? Best way to keep the body from deteriorating?Keep in mind that once parked it will never be fired up again till it's rebuilt.

What to drain: gas, what to leave in: antifreeze and probably brake fluid. Hear conflicting stories on engine oil, what I did once was drain the engine oil and pray marine fogging oil in the spark plug holes. A good car cover evolution 4 material or heavier would be the way to go for exterior/interior protection. Probably better off putting on stands.

marine fogging oil.. if you cant get ahold of that, buy some of the GM penetrating oil / foam stuff.. its REALLY good stuff.. or if not that.. PB blaster is also a really good one, should stay in there pretty well..'

if not.. maybe fill the cylinders up with mobil 1 and put the plugs back in.. just dont forget to take all the plugs out and spin it over a year later.

if you could, before you put the car cover on, wash it real good and put a heavy coat of wax on the top surfaces, anywhere that is gonna get rubbed by the car cover if its windy, to be sure a year later you dont take it off to find holes rubbed through your paint..

on the inside of the car you might wanna put a box of baking soda, to absorb any moisture that might get in, i think it said to pour it out on a syrofoam plate or something... sit it on the console.

take out the battery cause it'll probably go bad just sitting there for 12 months.. i dunno what else :)

I will speak for the theft-paranoid crowd.

If you are going to put it up on stands and you value your wheels....take them off. I can not imagine a happier site to a tire thief than a car on stands already.

I think stands are also good for avoiding the "they drove my car away" saga.

Now for the debate - do you jack the car from the frame and let the shocks take the stress or do you jack it from the front A-arms and rear shock axle mounts???

Might consider moth balls in the engine bay. Mice will think twice about nesting if you do. I have also heard you should stick rags into the tailpipes to keep rodents out...although beats the hell out of me how they get in there.

good idea! i would lift the car and put it on stands on each 4 corners of the frame under the fenders right behind the front wheel well, and infront of the rear wheel well.

its going to look funny with a car cover cocoon on floating about a foot off the ground ;)

rags in the tailpipe and if i you can find any of those silica things they have in shoes to keep moisture from building up that might be good to keep the exhaust from rotting away..

then again i dont know if that would be a big deal?

Thanks for all the replies.

Taking the wheels off is a very good idea. Probably would not have thought of that. They are the originals and almost perfect.

Also like the idea of filling the cylinders with oil. I'm gonna do that as well as poor as much oil into the breather as will fit. I think that when it warms up in the spring I'm gonna remove the engine, trans and exhaust (atr), and put them indoors.

Plus it's always fun carrying engines down the steps into the basement. :rolleyes:

Put a heavy 30-40 mil tarp underneath the car to decrease upward seepage of moisture/humidity/dampness.

For better protection than a quality car cover, and near equal money, you can buy a HD tarp canopy.

Cover the ground beneath the car for sure.

HTH :)