Motor lift plate that bolts to the intake?

Intercooler

Just wondering if one of our Buick or other vendors makes a plate that bolts to the top of the intake in place of the upper to pull/install the motor? If anyone has used it or has the info of where to get it please reply. Thanks!

Well, I can tell you that I've seen them! So, they do exist... but I'll be darned if I remember who made/sold it! Sorry!

Originally posted by Intercooler
Just wondering if one of our Buick or other vendors makes a plate that bolts to the top of the intake in place of the upper to pull/install the motor? If anyone has used it or has the info of where to get it please reply. Thanks!

I just brough down my stock plenum to my local welder and 10 minutes later a lift plate magically appeared.

john @ JB's Powdercoating has them in stock ready for shipment for $25 call him at (812)952-1204 or johns87gn@aol tell him damond told you to call.

I made mine out of some old scrap steel. Just trace the plenum onto the steel. Cut it out on a band saw and drill the holes into it. Then weld a plate to the top with three one inch holes in it. Done!!! There is no easier way of lifting the motor.

I bought one and never used it. 2 of my plenum bolts are stripped so I was worried about using it. Plus, the factory hook-ups do indeed balance the engine perfectly. You know that in addition to the eye on the front RH side that there's one cast into the block in the back, LH side?

If you want mine, cheap, shoot me an e-mail.

Jim

Jeese, like IBCU said, think about that before committing. Folks have stripped out those plenum holes installing a power plate. If you want a neat tool, those engine levelers with the threaded shaft would be a better investment IMO. Just replace a right rear and left front intake bolt into the head with ones that will fit through the chains and pull to your heart's content.

My threads are Heli-coiled. We pulled and dropped both the motor and transmission into my car with the plate. We had no problems. I have seen many big block Chevys done this way. ;) But to each there own.:)

I worry about the intake holding 350# of engine weight! the intake is very thin walled. This might distort the intake mounting flange! Just some of my concerns doing this. I used the front and rear lifting eye with an engine leveler to install my engine. Factory type lifting eyes balance the engine perfectly. Maybe unfounded worry but just another view! Gene

30psi against the plenum, a surface thats at least 15 square inches, that in itself is 450lbs of force trying to push the plenum off the intake on your average 10 second pass.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Johns plate has three holes in the uprite that use a clavis to attach it to the engine hoist . The centermost hole angles the motor ever so slightly down in the rear to make attachment to the trans easier . Used mine several times and havent had any trouble, and besides the one designed for a holley carb flange uses 4 5/16 bolts to raise it and the bare block weight on a
BB Chevy is right at 250lbs not to mention production heads tip the scales at 65lbs each BARE. When I used to use a engine levler the lenght of the chains plus the unit always put me into the hood when lifting now with the plate there is plenty of space.

I ordered John's plate. Thanks for info guys! I am going this route due to a couple of factors preventing me from using the leveller and chains. I have that setup but have to do a work-around.