Motor Mount/Frame Mount???

camino70

I have a 1970 El Camino that had a 350/350 in it. I found some frame mounts from an early model Buick A Body and bolted them in the designated holes in my frame and moved the tranny crossmember back. The trans is mounted, the driveshaft in and the motor in, but not bolted to the mounts. I neglected to test the fit of the motor mounts on the engine(originally in a T Type) to the frame mounts from an early Buick A Body. The frame mount sits in the motor mount with about an inch of room inside, this cannot be correct. Can someone enlighten me to what I need to do or is it as simple as getting motor mounts from a 6 cyl/small block v8 Buick A Body?
TIA,
Ron

From what i've seen so far all you need are the factory frame stands from 3.8 and just use the correct holes in the front crossmember.

try 68-72 buick 350 engine and frame pads. and put the trans crossmember in forward holes is correct if using a 350 trans
sounds like you have 225 v6 mounts from earlyer skylark.you would need the correct rubber mounts for 225 v6
gn or turbo regal mounts wont work.
good luck
andy

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate them. I have been running around so much about the frame/motor mounts, I have given up on finding the right combo to bolt in. I currently have frame/motor mounts from an '87 T Type and will be drilling into my frame. Any guidance on how to figure out the correct placement of the drivetrain? Not sure if there is a correct lean right to left or front to back. I would assume level every direction, but what do I know?

TIA,
Ron

Hey.. sounds like fun :)

Honestly we find a measuring point on the frame side to center the frame pads on.
(while bolted to the engine and sitting in the bay with some weight on it)
The further you set the engine back the better weight transfer you'll get. We set ours back as far as we can.
If you don't want to cut the driveshaft or move your tranny mount then bolt the trans to the crossmember and position it to the wear marks on the driveshaft.
That will set your (front to rear) depth.
I'd pick holes in the crossmember frame to center your frame pads, Double check with a level for side to side and step back and make sure it's center and there's no other clearance issues.
Weld in the lower frame mounts to the crossmember. I don't drill and bolt. Way too much work for little holding power.
It's damn near impossible to get a nut on the lower part of the crossmember with out removing the lower controll arms. Yuck.

Any other questions mail me anytime,
Scott
UR50SLO@aol.com