You can type here any text you want

Motor Strain?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dvernst

Lets say you are making 400 horsepower with a stock turbo compared to making 400 with a lot bigger turbo like a pt67. What's harder on the motor, or is it the same? Thanks

Dave,
A smaller turbo will blow hotter air vs a larger turbo at higher boost levels. So, strain........ Not really strain, but risk of detonating is higher on a smaller turbo and big boost. Alky, for instance cools the charge, so you can run a smaller turbo and go faster than race gas on that same smaller turbo....opps! I may have opened a can of worms!:eek:

I do not know if my logic is flawed, but I would think the headgaskets would blow easier and the heads would lift with the smaller turbo because it would have to flow more boost to get the same CFM. Now the bottom end on the other hand, I would think, could care less. 400 HP whether is be NA, NO2, or boost would be the same strain. Correct me I'm wrong.

I also agree with Bo.

The words was strain. Meaning strain to crank, rods, pistonsm block, etc. 400 is 400. No matter how you get there

400hp is hardly considered "strain"...:p

Many here are making 500+ at the rear wheels already, using just the stock longblock. :cool:

I think it would be less strain on your wallet to make 400Hp on a stock turbo:biggrin:

It would probably be more stress on the motor if it was running a 67 turbo, because it would be making alot more than 400 horses.

Are you thinking of getting a bigger turbo?

BW

I think it would be less strain on your wallet to make 400Hp on a stock turbo:biggrin:

It would probably be more stress on the motor if it was running a 67 turbo, because it would be making alot more than 400 horses.

Are you thinking of getting a bigger turbo?

BW

I just said 400 hundred to put a number on it. I was just wondering. Razor answered it perfect.

Back