You can type here any text you want

moving to another setup. hoping to not blow it all up

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

nolanator

@none_more_black
Hey everyone,
As the title states, I am moving from my current setup listed below to another turbo/fuel setup.

My block is a 0.030 over non girdled 109 block. it has been partially filled by the previous owner. Additionally, it does have billet caps and studded mains and some ARP goodies, but i still worry about it's potential mainley due to the factory crankshaft and rods.

Im currently running an old Precision T64E tubo with 80lb. Siemens injectors with 91 octane pump gas and alky. The new setup will utilize a slightly bigger Precision 6766CEA turbo, 120lb. injectors and E85. I will also be ditching the ATR liquid intercooler in favor of a Precision FMIC.

I understand that the turbo is listed as being good for 935hp at the flywheel, but i know the block isn't rated for that, so if you were in my shoes, how would you set this up? Theoretically could i safely make 600+whp on a good tune, or should i lower my expectations?

How fast would you like to go? Me and my dad built a 109 motor with less work done to it and we ran straight 110 octane fuel. Ran 11.04 @126mph and it was 98F out that day... This was done with the turbo you have right now. Block was 0.030 over, balanced, blueprinted and all that jazz, stock rods and crank, JE pistons, 212 212 roller cam, stock rockers, 80# injectors, Red Armstrong xp 2000 fuel pump, Precision front mount, ported stock throttle body (63mm) Precision 65mm upper plenum with matching RJC plate, home ported iron heads, stock exhaust manifolds and match ported intake. I don't recall using a stud anywhere on that motor. Oh and that was with a 2004r transmission, 3200-3500 stall 9.5 PTC NLU, stock rear end, stock suspension aside from lowering springs in the rear with air bags and summit adjustable shocks in the front. Turbo Tweak 5.7 chip. OH YEAH, I almost forgot, that was hitting the brakes before the end of the 1/4 mile... The exhaust was hitting the floor causing knock and my dad didn't know why, so he hit the brakes as soon as he seen knock. If I remember right, the boost was at about 25-26psi at best.

We didn't have any issues spooling that turbo. If anything, we had traction issues and that was with 275 Hoosier DR tucked under it. It would slide the front wheels on the track, so I know the tires were doing their job. With street tires on the back, it would fry the tires from an 80mph roll with no problem.

I've heard horror stories about E85.... I personally know 2 people that have melted pistons when using E85. That turbo can take you into the 8's if your car has the supporting parts for it, but easy 10's. If you really want to run straight E85, you'll most likely need bigger injectors than the 120's. I'm going to the track tomorrow if all goes well. The car I'm taking has a 109 0.020 over, stock crank and rods, but with a bit more work done to it. I will be running pump gas (93oct) and alky. I'm not expecting to get a clean pass out of the car, but it will be the cleanest pass thus far. #1 cylinder is at 105-110psi and the rest are at 120-125psi. I just want to see where it's at before I pull it and put new rings on the pistons. I'm expecting it to run off into the 10's this time. If I go, I will let you know what I get out of it.

How fast would you like to go? Me and my dad built a 109 motor with less work done to it and we ran straight 110 octane fuel. Ran 11.04 @126mph and it was 98F out that day... This was done with the turbo you have right now. Block was 0.030 over, balanced, blueprinted and all that jazz, stock rods and crank, JE pistons, 212 212 roller cam, stock rockers, 80# injectors, Red Armstrong xp 2000 fuel pump, Precision front mount, ported stock throttle body (63mm) Precision 65mm upper plenum with matching RJC plate, home ported iron heads, stock exhaust manifolds and match ported intake. I don't recall using a stud anywhere on that motor. Oh and that was with a 2004r transmission, 3200-3500 stall 9.5 PTC NLU, stock rear end, stock suspension aside from lowering springs in the rear with air bags and summit adjustable shocks in the front. Turbo Tweak 5.7 chip. OH YEAH, I almost forgot, that was hitting the brakes before the end of the 1/4 mile... The exhaust was hitting the floor causing knock and my dad didn't know why, so he hit the brakes as soon as he seen knock. If I remember right, the boost was at about 25-26psi at best.

We didn't have any issues spooling that turbo. If anything, we had traction issues and that was with 275 Hoosier DR tucked under it. It would slide the front wheels on the track, so I know the tires were doing their job. With street tires on the back, it would fry the tires from an 80mph roll with no problem.

I've heard horror stories about E85.... I personally know 2 people that have melted pistons when using E85. That turbo can take you into the 8's if your car has the supporting parts for it, but easy 10's. If you really want to run straight E85, you'll most likely need bigger injectors than the 120's. I'm going to the track tomorrow if all goes well. The car I'm taking has a 109 0.020 over, stock crank and rods, but with a bit more work done to it. I will be running pump gas (93oct) and alky. I'm not expecting to get a clean pass out of the car, but it will be the cleanest pass thus far. #1 cylinder is at 105-110psi and the rest are at 120-125psi. I just want to see where it's at before I pull it and put new rings on the pistons. I'm expecting it to run off into the 10's this time. If I go, I will let you know what I get out of it.
Thank you for the reply. The whole time until you mentioned hitting the brakes before the end of the quarter i was thinking "somethings wrong here. This car should be in the 10s", but it makes sense now.

120s should be fine for the time being on my setup. I'd like to see a 10.20ET on the car in the near future, but my top end will be limited by a 206/206 roller cam. Im on a 28x10.5 hoosier slick coming off the trans brake at 10psi, so my low end power is there. Eventually I plan on changing the cam and building another short block.

I'm going to be careful tuning this car and retard timing to 15* and work my way in. I'll do the same for boost. I do have an audblible knock sensor, but with e85 it seems that detonation doesn't creep up like it does on gasoline, it just shows up and crashes the party.

In any case, low 10s would make me happy before I start planning for single digit passes.

you don't have a helmet?
Driveshaft loop, cage, 1/2" studs,

A helmet will get you through the gate, but if you don't pass tech, you're never getting to the line.

I tried to BS them with my Nova last year and told them it ran high 11s, cut and went single digits. They took a picture of my car and my drivers license and asked me to leave.

Driveshaft loop, cage, 1/2" studs,

A helmet will get you through the gate, but if you don't pass tech, you're never getting to the line.

I tried to BS them with my Nova last year and told them it ran high 11s, cut and went single digits. They took a picture of my car and my drivers license and asked me to leave.

damn. thats a serious track! Still would like to see what your combo runs. Go to a different track! lol

damn. thats a serious track! Still would like to see what your combo runs. Go to a different track! lol

I'd love to. It's a shame how far they are from me though. Unfortunately, all the tracks within driving distance are NHRA sponsored venues with very stringent safety measures. I could get one run in and go home and it just isn't worth a 4 and a half hour round trip and trailer rental for that info.

I'd love to. It's a shame how far they are from me though. Unfortunately, all the tracks within driving distance are NHRA sponsored venues with very stringent safety measures. I could get one run in and go home and it just isn't worth a 4 and a half hour round trip and trailer rental for that info.
Go to the track to tune what you currently have. Do a couple of 60' passes letting off after the 60'. Check the tune then tweak. Run 1/8 mile a few times letting off at the 1/8. This will give you more data to tune correctly while still trapping a slow 1/4 time. Then after a few 1/8 mile passes make your final pass a 1/4 mile pass. That gives you a full day at the track making passes and tuning the car without getting the boot till the end. Ask me how I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back