You can type here any text you want

MSD-6A.....

• Thread starter Thread starter Freddie's Buick
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
F

Freddie's Buick

I just recieved my new MSD-6A Series ignition, (part#6200). I heard alot of good feedback from the carbed turbo guys about MSD ignition on this forum so I decided to get it. Along with it I got a 48,000 volt HEI coil.

I don't know how much more additional power I'm gonna get from my 'Old Beast', but I heard that most racers swear by it.
Jim Ruggles once said, 'It's an absolute bullet proof ignition'.

Let's see how it goes for me.....:D

how did it go so far with the msd-6a I have a malleroy that i plan on running

what would you want to know? 6a works great 6BTM works great too... little tricky but great.

hell.... really if your even running the factory HEI with a 4 or 7 pin module your doing pretty good. only weak player is the 5 pin from the TCC unit.

well I have the mallry 6al spark box thats what i am going to run.from what i understand its works from a remote coil that plugs into the distributor cap.How much of a different did you really notice.My sefl i plan on running a carb plug through set up.And also what distributor cap did you guys run with your set for it to work.my distributor cap still have the vacumm advance on it.Its the original distributor from the motor whic is a 1980 draw through turbo buick.

well you dont have to use an external coil.... i didnt when i ran HEI because i prefer a more sleek factory look. depending on how you wire in the 6A decides how you control what parts of the ignition. Vac advance isnt too bad, but alot of times i found it causes knock at part throttle, to much timing to soon. So i lock mine out and rely on the mechanical advance. i look for 12 intial and 34 total. These days i switch back and forth between a Cragar points dizzy or an MSD dizzy and both being fired through an accel coil.

if your deciding to keep the original TCC unit... then your stuck on that 5 pin HEI module and the MSD 6A is a huge upgrade for you. the 5 pin HEI module has a hard time with RPM over 5800 RPM due to the fact it cant move enough amperage. so taking the firing load away from the transistors makes it spin way higher.

Back