You can type here any text you want

MSD 7AL2 vs Crane HI-6R

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gnxtc2

Staff member
Which is are you guys running?

Price wise the MSD cost around $560.00
MSD 7AL-2 Plus CD Ignitions: MSD-7222 - summitracing.com

and

Crane cost around $250.00
Crane HI-6R CD Ignitions: CRN-6000-6400 - summitracing.com

I know guys that have used the Crane successfully. The price difference is big and just need some feedback. For the price of the Crane box, it is very tempting and probably get it.

I won't buy electronics used. Heard that MSD stuff lately is not that good as the old stuff was.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

The MSD unit you have shown is not a street strip unit like the Crane is. The MSD 7AL-2 is a race unit, not designed for every day street cars.

Didn't know the MSD 7AL-2 unit was race only??

I believe it is when you use the Pro-Power Coil.

If you use the HVC II coil it can be run continuous.

You can correct me if I'm wrong., but I think the coil used is the main issue.

Joe

That particular Crane box doesn't have a 2-step does it? I think there's a box with a 2 step that's more comparable.

This the plan:

Use the Crane box w/ Crane RPM rev limiter for Max engine RPM then the XFI sequential rev limiter for a 2 step.

Also LX92 or PS92 Crane coil, haven't decided yet. This stuff gets expensive.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Didn't know the MSD 7AL-2 unit was race only??

I believe it is when you use the Pro-Power Coil.

If you use the HVC II coil it can be run continuous.

You can correct me if I'm wrong., but I think the coil used is the main issue.

Joe

Thats very interesting Joe, I will look into that further. When I look up the info on that 7al-2. It says professional Race ingnition system. So I just assumed it was not street friendly. Can anyone else shed more light on this? Thanks for the tid bit Joe, I guess I learned something new today.

Billy U know what i vote for.;)

But as an opinion to everyone else....I cant understand why anyone would wanna use that big ol MSD 7AL. It worked very well in the past and will continue to do so. But what I dont like is the price, the nickle and dime BS, like pills, 2 steps modules ect.. and less not forget the shaft that they gave the Buick guys with the DIS4.

The HI6 can be had with a coil for 1/2 of what the MSD costs. The HI6 has 10 times the spark output rating, uses less amperage per 1,000 rpm and is half the size. There 3 units that can be had with different options still cheaper than the MSD.Built in RPM selector on certain models, tach test feaures(makes setting RPM based switches ect..super easy )

So far there are quite a few TSM guys running them.. Jason White, Don Palumbo and several others. There are a few stage guys too. Mine worked perfectly and is now going on the new motor.

Billy U know what i vote for.;)

........................................... The HI6 has 10 times the spark output rating, uses less amperage per 1,000 rpm and is half the size. .......r.

Spark output to the plugs would be determined by Coil used.

Don't think the Crane puts out 10 times the spark output to the plugs as the MSD 7 AL2 Unit. :confused:

If it does I guess I'll throw out my 7 AL 2 & get the Crane:cool:

Joe

I drove mine around with the 7al2, lots of guys locally have street cars with the 7al2 and HVC II coil like Joe said. The pro power coil is not for street use.

I agree MSD has some quality issues and the DIS4 is a joke but MSD is the only game in town with the features it has. I'd love to run something cheaper but the 7531 box is the only option I have.

Billy, you should have checked parts for sale. I had a 7530T for sale for $450. It is used but a great deal since it has 12 passes on it and I gave over $700 for it. I found out with the power the car makes now I need more ignition control so I'm going to the 7531:( I think I need a new hobby.

Joe,
Yes you are correct. It depends on the coil and a few other things. The ratings are 115 mj vs 1,200 mj

My above post was just a comparison in between the 2 units. Half the cost, half the size, more potential spark out put and no extras to buy. Its a good unit for those buying their 1st and last ign box.

BTW,
You car is a proven performer and i would change nothing on it..:wink: :biggrin:

So....is there a Crane box version with a 2-step built in.. for us "old school" Fast SEFI guys?

I wouldn't mind changing to XFI or BS3, but I figured I'm best not changing a good proven thing if I don't have to.

I know that if I keep my car it will eventually have a Distributer on it.

Thanks,
John

John,
Yes there is a Crane box with a 2 step..Pt. No. 6000-6424

Joe,
Yes you are correct. It depends on the coil and a few other things. The ratings are 115 mj vs 1,200 mj

My above post was just a comparison in between the 2 units. Half the cost, half the size, more potential spark out put and no extras to buy. Its a good unit for those buying their 1st and last ign box.

BTW,
You car is a proven performer and i would change nothing on it..:wink: :biggrin:

Louie, the real rating on the crane box is 150 mJ. They cheat/obfuscate in their advertising and say it is 1200 mJ for the "cycle", which is the total after firing 8 plugs. 1200/8=150mJ, which is what Summit lists it as in their table comparing their brand ignition boxes to the other brands. Not saying the crane isn't a good choice, just not THAT good :-).

Carl,
That makes total sense. ....Thanks for clearing that up.

At 150 mj its still more than the other. :D

Joe,

BTW,

Louie,

No argument with it being a very viable option, especially since the bang for buck is there.

Maybe MSD should follow suit and offer something a little more resonable, and more importantly reliable.

Joe

Back