MT Street Radials vs MT ET Streets

Jack Evers

let me tell you about my experience with the new MT Street Radials. I was running 28" MT ET streets (new) and switched to 26" MT Street Radials. Ride like a regular radial passenger car tire on the way to the track. Brought tire pressure down to 18 psi and ran 1/10th lower 60' time with the Radials that I did with the ET streets! I had my car set up for bracket racing with a 12.0 dial in (no roll bar - low boost - closed exhaust) and got thrown off the track for consequtive 11.90's. Based on my experience with "drag radials" (Nitto, BFG) I didn't expect much from these new Street Radials. What a pleasant surprise!

I got 275 60 R15s on mine, and they are bad mother bears. It is hard to believe that you are on radials except the car does not do the shuffle like on slicks. I have not used them at the track because they wear so fast that I don't want to burn up my street tires. They re really designed to for radial racing classes, and not for long life on the street, but it is almost pointless with anything less. I also don't have to drive it daily anymore like I did for 7 years too though. I like em.

m/t radils

hi guys. i just got the m/t street raids. topjimmy and me. where checking them out. and if you take your finger nail and push into the tire; IT FEELS MUCH SOFTER THAN MY M/T DRAG SLICKS. i am very sure they will HOOK HARD. MCPONCH.

new radial

I have had very good luck with the dr's. I've had a 1.609 sixty ft with them so far, and thinking that my converter is bad [got a new one coming]. the driveability is great. The motor in my car is all stock but the intercooler,inj and turbo [54]. The rear has the ATR sway bar,no bags yet.

the best et to date
1.609 7.67 @88 12.13 @109

Anybody here know anyone with a 10 second car running the MT radials?

I'm still runing my first set of BFG drag radials in the 325/50-15 size. There about 75% worn and will need replacement next spring. I'm flat out impressed with how well these tires are working right now.

Previous best 60' was a 1.46, but this weekend was a different story...1.47, 1.44, 1.44, then a all time best of 1.43 :eek: :D . That's with 18 psi of air pressure cold...about 19.5 psi warm. Et's on those runs was in the mid/low 10.60's @ 125 mph.

I'm now torn to whether to try the MT's or stick with what has worked well so far which is the BFG :confused:.

This pair had but 35 1/4 mile passes and 300 street miles. I'd say by the time the reach 50 passes, they'll likely be toast.

FYI, Jack cut a 1.58 with the MT DR's on Sunday in 100* heat (11.88) closed exhaust, 22 lbs boost

I have a set of 275X60's ordered....will advise

10/sec raidal

someone asked about a 10 sec pass with the m/t-raids? the mustang boys are in the 7s or very low 8s. mcponch

Re: 10/sec raidal

Originally posted by mcponch
someone asked about a 10 sec pass with the m/t-raids? the mustang boys are in the 7s or very low 8s. mcponch

I'm not concerned with the big boys as they all use some sort of timing computer or reduce boost or nitrous controllers. I'm more interested in cars similar in performance to my own for a closer to apples-to-apples comparison.

Re: Re: 10/sec raidal

Originally posted by 10secBu
I'm not concerned with the big boys as they all use some sort of timing computer or reduce boost or nitrous controllers. I'm more interested in cars similar in performance to my own for a closer to apples-to-apples comparison.

thats where i came from, not so with blowers or turbos, turbo cars are allowed but no one uses them,blowers cant. nos cars do use them. blower/turbo cars leave on transbrakes and 60' 1.33! these cars also weigh 3300/3400lbs. no mustang has gone 7s yet Dwayne Gutridge is real close, Rick Head has with his Camaro. these passes so far have been woith BFGs as M/Ts were not allowed this year, in testing at Norwalk ohio a friend of mine went 8.30s on M/T 275/60s, when the car was low 50s high 40s on a 325/50 BFG changing nothing but the tires

mts

their you go830s. chris is a trouble maker. besides he likes mustangs. and his wife puts him out with the cat at night. frank.

Re: Re: Re: 10/sec raidal

Originally posted by Anthony K
no mustang has gone 7s yet Dwayne Gutridge is real close,

According to an Accel DFI advertisement in the November 2004 issue of GMHTP, Dwayne "bid daddy" Buthridge is the "Fastest Man Alive on Drag Radials: 7.92 @ 178. Powered by a Turbocharged Small Block Ford".

;)

I put my MT DR's on and went to the track Fri nite (was about 95*)

long story short, ran a couple of 10.9's with high 1.6 60' times.........I am sure there is much more in these tires.....they would not stand up to a full bore t-brake launch (15-20 lbs)

they did hook well with a lighter launch and with some practice, think they will be very nice.......they definitely work better than ET Streets on my car

so, yeah, here is your 10 sec GN on DR's

(on slicks, those runs would have been in the 10.6 range and 60's in the 1.4x)

so where's the place to get these tires at? I see Jeg's has em, anywhere cheaper. vendors???

do the Mickey DRs have soft, floppy, potentially fragile sidewalls? or is it stiffer, more like a regular street tire?

not that we'd buy this tire expecting long life, but has anyone formed an opinion as to how many 1/4 passes, or how many street miles, the DRs might last?

MT Street Radials - Update

I made a total of seven (7) runs at the WCN in Las Vegas this weekend. I think I was the only one there that was fitted with this rubber.

The runs were in the 11.7 area at about 113 or 114 MPH. I launched with the light at 18 to 19 pounds boost and did consistant 1.55 to 1.57 60's times. In my final run, I lost the first round of eliminations when I broke out after pulling a 1.53 60'. This is the best 60' time I've ever pulled, with any tire.

Anybody run these in colder weather?

I was at the track last weekend, and it was barely 50° out.

My Nitto DR's would spin at every tire pressure I tried, and every launch regardless of boost.

I tried short and long burnouts, to no avail.

Other guys with slicks were getting nice 60 foot times, but it would be nice to not have to change tires.

Am I wasting my time trying to get these tires to hook in cold weather?

Pete

I am confused :-(

Jack said - "let me tell you about my experience with the new MT Street Radials. I was running 28" MT ET streets (new) and switched to 26" MT Street Radials"

I am looking at tires now and I see the Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials.

So which of the above tires are they?