Muffler recomendations

I have an 87 442 with a ls engine. My exhaust setup in 87 GN ( 3 in. SS off each bank going into a 4 in. ss with an oval flange to mate up to the 3 in. polished exhaust from, I believe GN Performance. Anyway they are in Ca. The 2 mufflers are 3 in. center in-- 3 in. center out. I need to buy 2 new mufflers as these are WAY TOO loud. 30 years ago they would have been great. I need to tone it way down. I traveled 400 miles yesterday as was hating the car last night. I am stuck with center in --center out. Anyone have experience with Flomasters or others. HELP!!! All replies will be appreciated. Thanks--Lee

Attachments

• stage 2 of frame off 011.JPG
    stage 2 of frame off 011.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 114
  • stage 2 of frame off 015.JPG
    stage 2 of frame off 015.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 110
My set up is a LS3 in a Turbo Regal using the TR 2 1/2 inch exhaust. Both Borla and Hushpower have more than an annoying drone at 60 - 70 mph so don't go that route. I'm thinking of the Hooker system with Aerochamber mufflers that I like in my GN with its LC2. Of course different motors will give a different sound. Hopefully someone else will have a better idea.

My set up is a LS3 in a Turbo Regal using the TR 2 1/2 inch exhaust. Both Borla and Hushpower have more than an annoying drone at 60 - 70 mph so don't go that route. I'm thinking of the Hooker system with Aerochamber mufflers that I like in my GN with its LC2. Of course different motors will give a different sound. Hopefully someone else will have a better idea.
t
t
thank you. Do you have any experience with Flowmaster. The system that I put on my car was for a GN. I recently installed same system on a GN and it was very mellow. I failed to realize I have more cubes and it is not being run through a turbo. That is why my rear is bigger than my head.

t
t
thank you. Do you have any experience with Flowmaster. The system that I put on my car was for a GN. I recently installed same system on a GN and it was very mellow. I failed to realize I have more cubes and it is not being run through a turbo. That is why my rear is bigger than my head.
I just realized Flowmaster and Hushpower are the same.--Lee

Lee,

The reason I put on the Hushpower mufflers was that I had used them before and was VERY happy with the sound and lack of drone. I had them on a 2004 GTO which had the LS1 motor and a 2011 Camaro with the L99 6.2 motor with great results - a pleasing muscle car growl outside the car and virtually no interior drone. The Camaro had an X pipe where the GTO did not. Just enough variables to make a difference obviously. My problem is I am too old to tolerate a drone at cruising speeds so my search for the proper muffler for my current car continues. Wish I had the solution for both of us.

Lee, my 55/LS car has the Pypes Racepro's on it...Sounds good, not too loud. Price was right, as I used the complete system.

Still using the pypes cat back that was on the LC2. Using racepros as well. Added the pypes 3" cat delete pipe. I like it with my lq4 single turbo setup.

Considered adding a glass pack inline with the muffins you have now? Cheap, get at any parts store, and will be quieter, Just a cheap bassards idea

Update--thanks to all who replied. I installed 2 Magnaflow--3 inch in and 3 inch out --center -center. I am very happy with them MUCH quieter than the others. Mellow tone and MUCH quieter inside.

If you go with the Flowmasters the 3 chambered are quieter than the 2 chambered.

I know its "after the fact" but I use magnaflows on my GNX, and on my 72 - 455 skylark,
both with good sound, and not to loud, my 57 has hooker "aero chamber" and a balance tube, and is ok, but wish it was a little quieter.