Multi miss

Ttype83

USAF Retired
OK I have a good one for you guys/gals. I have a mutli miss, I have checked plugs & wires and they are good. This has been a underlining problem for me. I'm thinking that it's in the distributor, when I get the engine up to 1500rpm the miss gets worse and drops 300rpm's then it idles back up and down again. Each time that it does this the drop gets less. At idle you can see the motor rock, with A/C on at a stop car shakes(miss).
I'm thinking that it the hall effect switch(if I have one) and/or the module or capacitor.
So what do you think? Am I on the right track?

Before you go any further . Do a compression check. after that if that is OK. then replace cap & rotor.

Thanks Fred,
I'm cleaning out the garage so that I can fit the car in. Hoping to get it in saturday and test.
How is your rebuild on the heads coming along?

Run a compression check today. Primaries opened, all plugs removed, fuel line off, engine cold.
CYC Pressure CYC Pressure
1 181 2 190
3 185 4 180
5 180 6 165

Very sad, I think that I need a vavle job and/or HG. What do you think? What should the compression be at cold? I was thinking 220. Oopps almost forgot/ #1 plug is a lite white(lean) but 2-5 are a red color and 6 is pink. This confesses me, I cann't find this in any of my books or webs sites?????? :confused:

Fred how did your car run Sunday at the track?

Hi

You might want to do a leak down test next to see where the air is leaking.

My car , First pass , I blew a header gasket. after fixing that secound time trail . It only ran a 13.9 @ 95 MPH . Come to find out the time was 8° retarded , after readjusting that , First round I dail a 13.65 , the car only ran a 13.7 (very soft leave #2 VS #4, I messed up) but it ran 98.6 MPH. So she is back.

You make us carbed guys look good fred :D Are you using a trans brake? Have you remove the front sway bar for weight transfer?
Can you look up again and see I added plug colors.
Thanks again
Jim

Originally posted by Ttype83
I'm thinking that it's in the distributor, when I get the engine up to 1500rpm the miss gets worse and drops 300rpm's then it idles back up and down again. Each time that it does this the drop gets less. At idle you can see the motor rock, with A/C on at a stop car shakes(miss).
I'm thinking that it the hall effect switch(if I have one) and/or the module or capacitor.
OK I feel realy small, It was at the distribtor. When I changed the cap many months ago I did not get the cap on right. With all the hoses an stuff in the way it was hard to tell. I have the cap on right now and it no longer drops the 300.
I still have a miss or 2, but that could be due to the compression test.
I'm trying to find a place to do the leak down test for me.
What is the stock compression suppose to be????

OK it was the cap (ACCEL) that has been giving me lots of problems. If I would bump it, it would make the car miss at 1500rpm's. I replaced it with a Borg. I'm going to call ACCEL and complain, I've used their products for years and never had a problem until now.
Now I'm getting a code 15 (Open Coolant Sensor Circuit) what will this do to the proformance? I'm looking for a new one.
Is it locationed below the alt, mounted on the intake passenger side?
I will check #6 cyc in acoulpe of days (30cc oil in cyc) & see want happens.