You can type here any text you want

mustang down (yawn)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

denn454

turbo swimmer
I was going to the bank (putting some money in to pay for more goodies) and a fairly nice min 80's 5.0 mustang convertable pulls onto the road, i pass them and the 2 guys look at my car, nothign unusual. we were both the 2nd car at a stop light, but he wouldnt' come up beside me, i didn't think anything of it then we get the green and i take off easly, singing to the radio minding my own business when he pulls up beside me, nods his head and floors it, i thought i knew what he was going to do so i was almost ready for it, he pulled on me pretty good before the turbo spun up, once it spun up i flew past him like he was standign still, then he tried the same thing again. we pulled off, I thought he wanted to talk, there was a big parking lot there, but he kept going.

the possible cool part is i think it might have been one of the asc mcalren mustangs. I know that they were convertalbe, I don't think mustangs come in convertalbes that year, but i don't know much about mustangs so i'm not sure. i know there nothign too impressive, a friend of mine has a asc mclaren mercury capri, it looks cool but thats about it. does anyone know if they made convertables back then?

ASC Mclarens

The ASC Mclaren Mustangs and Capris didn't have too much as far as performance mods. Nothing officially done to the powertrain, but the suspension was stiffened and lowered. I've got a 1986 ASC Mclaren Capri. There is a rumor that SOME of the ASC Capris got prototype SVO valvetrain parts (B303 cam, different rockers etc...) that might add a bit of power, but I'd say for the most part they are high 14 Sec cars stock at best.

The ASC Capris convertibles were made from 1983 - 1986. After Capri production stopped, ASC Mustangs were made from 1987 - 1990. Ford factory made Mustang Convertibles were available from 1983 on. The quickest way to identify an ASC convertible is if the convertable top is down it is hidden under a hard tonneau cover, similar to a Mercedes. If the top is up, it is a 3 window top. Factory ragtops only had a single rear window if up, and when down they sit in a pile above the decklid.

my friend has a white 85 capri, pretty cool car but not too fast, but decent. this mustang had what looked like a roll bar, not something like you would see on a drag car (round tube) but a wide bar, looked like plastic, probably for looks more than function. is that aftermarket or did the asc's come with them on the mustangs? i've seen one picture of an asc with the roll bar.

mustang_101000n_sm.jpg

I know of this light bar from the aftermarket....This photo is of a standard Mustang convertible. See what I mean about the top ending up in a pile? An ASC's top folds into the car for a much cleaner look. The light bar might be fitted to an ASC though.

I know the owner of Classic Design Concepts (maker of this bar) is the brother of the guy who runs an ASC Mclaren parts business.

Back