You can type here any text you want

My 87 GN vs 2003 Mercury Maurader

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

rx4mike

At approx 7 oclock tonight I was on the was to pickup some dinner from the local Chinese resturant. On the way over there I noticed an All Black Mercury with Big Chrome Wheels never seen something of this nature before. As I pass through traffic to get a better look at the car luck has it that The next traffic light was turning red and we were side by side at the light :D Mean while my fiance' is yelling at me to slow down and quit driving like a terrorist on a mission. I rolled the passenger side window down to ask the driver what type of car it was...I got a "If you can keep up with me to the next light I will be happy to discuss it with you..." So I was Very insulted...I kept repeating "keep up? keep up?" When the light turned green and we both launched, I was still real pissed at the obvious statement, I wasn't paying any attention to how I launched and just floored it at the green light...With the bald tires I have I know better but I couldn't have asked for a better launch. Just got my boost gauge installed last night so I know that I am running 18 lbs of boost with the 93 octane setting on my thumb wheel chip. Meanwhile back at the ranch...He car squatted down and took off, I reeled him in like a big fish . My front bumper got to his back bumper and the next light was where I was going so I guess I did the ricer turn off. And I came home after eaating dinner did a little research and figured out what this thing was. Man at the specs he should have kept blowing the doors off of me. I guess he let off of it and seen me coming up quick and restomped on it. I don't know. The car had NJ tags and I was in Delaware so I prob won't ever get a chance to see him again.

Thats all for now just had to post it.

Rx4Mike

we had a huge discussion on this about a week ago. the marauder is no where near as fast as a gn, but is still a sweet ride.

Originally posted by rx4mike
And I came home after eaating dinner did a little research and figured out what this thing was. Man at the specs he should have kept blowing the doors off of me.

um...NO that marauder is lucky to run high 14's with it's weight...there is no reason a stock GN shouldn't beat a marauder...they are a nice luxary semi fast car but nothing major...

Dude, that Marauder is a slow POS. It's a pig. The discontinued Impalla SS's were tons faster, and they were a bunch slower than our cars...

I rode in one very similiar. It , however, had white paint, an ugly stripe and the words "Dial 911 in an emergency". I was not too impressed with the comfort of this vehicle but It probably was because the driver chose to lock both of my hands together with these chrome thingy mabobs.:eek: . Copcars make great family cars. My 94 Caprice (ex fbi) has all the oil coolers, HD this /that and i swear you can go faster in them without getting ticckets as much. i SAY THUMBS UP TO ANY rwd car-except when the cops are giving me rides in'em!

Saw my first one yesterday - looked good, sounded great. Was in a parking lot so I cannot tell you have it performed but by the way the guy was driving it - he thought it could. I'll bet we see quite a few posted kills soon:cool: .

Originally posted by d0n_3d
there is no reason a stock GN shouldn't beat a marauder

What if the stock GN roasts the tires off the line?

Originally posted by ez at nova
Dude, that Marauder is a slow POS. It's a pig. The discontinued Impalla SS's were tons faster

I disagree. In a race between a Marauder and Impala SS (both stock with similar drivers), I'd put my money of the Merc.

You should not have any trouble taking a Marauder at all. And a 96 impalla SS that is still in great tune will have no problem with a Marauder. The only magazine to get a respectable time out of the Marauder was MM&FF. Huh I wonder why? Its not like the other mags are spinning or anything, and its an auto, so why the big difference? *ringer* They are good looking cars, and respectable, but an Impalla would leave it from 60 on up. Oh and this is just my opinion.:D

And a 96 impalla SS that is still in great tune will have no problem with a Marauder.

Three weeks ago a brand new (paper tags), totally stock Marauder went 14.6 @ 95 mph at VMP. That's paper filter, tires, everything. I don't believe I've ever heard of a 94-96 Impala SS running that kind of ET/MPH in 100% showroom stock tune. An SS having "no problem" with a Marauder is quite a further stretch.

You are invited to prove me wrong, if you like/can.

Oh and this is just my opinion.]

Edit: Ok, if that is your opinion, then never mind. If you would like to find some facts to back up your opinion, then I'm open to discussion. :)

PS....my sister has a 94. Neat car.

Originally posted by JDSfastGN
The only magazine to get a respectable time out of the Marauder was MM&FF. Huh I wonder why? Its not like the other mags are spinning or anything, and its an auto, so why the big difference?

What's printed in Road and Driver Trend usually doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

Back in the late '80s I saw a time of 15.8 in the road test section for a '88 Mustang GT 5-speed in one of the whine & cheese mags. So I took my bone stock '88 GT 5-speed to the track and ran mid-low 14s. The times achieved by MM&FF for the same car were a lot closer to what was really happening at the track.

So why is there such a difference in times between Road & Driver Trend and mags like PHR, MCR, MM&FF, etc...?

For one thing, Road and Driver Trend doesn't test at a drag strip. They don't power shift (or if it's an auto they leave it in D or OD). They test with a full tank of gas. Launching is critical - they just stab the throttle and go. Etc...

There was somebody on LS1.com who emailed the editor of one of the whine & cheese mags to complain about the crappy times they got. The editor responded and the LS1.com guy posted his response. The editor explained the testing procedures used (which I partially listed above), and after reading it, it was very clear why they get crappy times, and why the average schmoe can beat them on his first trip to the track.

I almost bought a '96 Impala SS. Got the GN instead. I think I made the correct choice. ;)

Guys I'm not lookin to start anyhting in here just to clarify, I own neither cars, but have witnessed a bone stock 96 Impalla SS run, 14.6 at 95 or so as well. Sounds dumb to magazine race but I recall one magazine getting a mid 14 out of a new Impalla as well(maybe motor trend). I did stretch it a little with the "no problem beating a marauder comment" it would come down to a drivers race now that I've read a little, but I still do believe all being equal the Impalla will win. I did see that letter that the LS1.com member sent and I thought it was pretty funny. I think you made the right choice in buying the GN as well lyonsd. LT1s are hard to work on, my sis has a 94 B4c camaro, great car but hard to work on. Have a nice day

My old 94'SS had K&N cone filter, borla catback, and upgraded 373 gears and still only managed a 14.8. No way did a stock SS get in the mid 14's. They only had 260 horse and weigh a ton. As far as the Marauders, I'm guessing high 14's.

The Merc. is rated at 302 HP and the impala was rated at 260. Despite the horspower diff. I'd put money on the Impala any day. We all know how GM is notorious for under rating horsepower.If the 87 GN only had 245 HP I don't think it would be capable of low 13 sec. et's.

JDSfastGN...don't every recall a mag getting a mid 14 out of an SS. I don't suppose you have it?

snistrgn....I've never heard of a 100% bone stock from the factory GN running low 13's. Could you please expound?

Thanks.

You've never heard of a Stock GN run 13.50 or better? That surprises me. Maybe it's not as common as I thought. Ive seen it done before. Mine went 13.48 @99 but It did have a K&N filter so I guess that doesn't count as bone stock. Maybe all of our tracks run downhill here or something.

No, I'm sorry, I haven't. I almost bought an 87 GN when they were brand new. Even then you heard of an occasional one going 13.9 or so, but not 13.5 or better. Sorry.

posted by snistrgn
You've never heard of a Stock GN run 13.50 or better? That surprises me. Maybe it's not as common as I thought. Ive seen it done before. Mine went 13.48 @99 but It did have a K&N filter so I guess that doesn't count as bone stock.
And this was on stock radials? I can't imagine that happening.
At Englishtown yesterday, I went 13.405@100.10mph with a 1.92 60ft. on a set of 235-60/15 BFG DR's. My car has a Cotton's 93 chip, adjustable WG actuator (set at 17psi), Postons air cleaner base lid, billet inlet bell and hotwired Walbro 340. Raceweight was 3,674 with me and 1/2 tank of fuel.
I can't imagine being able to launch hard enough on stock radials to run a 13.4@99mph.
I also don't think a stock Marauder will beat a well maintained, stock TR. :D
S.

Originally posted by Snorman
At Englishtown yesterday, I went 13.405@100.10mph with a 1.92 60ft. on a set of 235-60/15 BFG DR's. My car has a Cotton's 93 chip, adjustable WG actuator (set at 17psi), Postons air cleaner base lid, billet inlet bell and hotwired Walbro 340. Raceweight was 3,674 with me and 1/2 tank of fuel.
I can't imagine being able to launch hard enough on stock radials to run a 13.4@99mph.
S. [/B]

S. [/B]
No Question there!

S. [/B]

Race weight said you were 3674 ?? I swear mine said 3360. Or is that way off? I didn't do anything to lighten my GN except take out the spare and jack, and it's not one of the light weight ones with no power stuff.

Back