You can type here any text you want

My Car Is A Piece Of Shi***********

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Boost231

What's An Intercooler
Staff member
well i went to the track to night and i fell like driving this car of a cliff. anyways i just get the car put back together with the v1 intake i mean its not a v1 but it is a replaca of the intake. anyways i get her back togther and she runs better then ever well thats what i thought. it ideals like a dream i will say that much but when i to her to the track the fing thing is slow as anything, i thought the v1 was suppose to make you E.T. lower not higher. this thing is a piece of shi*. i lost .9 thenths on my et. i was running a 13.0 and putting this intake on i was hoping to see some 12's but a 13.9 what is this is. man i swear i need 12's out of this car and i am mad. what do u guys think is wrong with it? the fuel pressure is good it is at like .84 around there i was slowly bring her down but it was high when i went 13.0. boost was at 18 with no knock. and i dont know what else i was running 118 fuel with joe lubrant chip (110). anyways what do u think it is. could the seal between my turbo and intake where i put a intercooler hose on there be sucking in air or pusing out air? Would that do it? i dont know guys i need help a 13.9 at 102 isnt going to fly. im ready to kill. PLEAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEE HEEEEEELLLLLPPPPPp

brent

The intake issue...

i mean its not a v1 but it is a replaca (replica) of the intake.

Ok you admit it's not a V1... then in the next statement you said...

i thought the v1 was suppose to make you E.T. lower not higher. this thing is a piece of shi*. i lost .9 thenths on my et.

I have a modified "stock" intake. Paid good money to get it ported (interior chamber cut out of it) and welded runners. It is nothing close to the V2 intake I have sitting on my work bench.

That .9 loss could be attributed to many things... probably tuning. If you have a vacuum leak it is easy to find.

1. Start car - let it idle

2. Find a 4" foot length of rubber fuel line

3. Stick one end of fuel line in the ear of choice

4. Use the other end of the rubber hose to listen for the leak at the turbo/intake adapter located near the firewall. If you hear any sucking noise that is a vacuum leak. That vacuum leak becomes worse at boost except it is in reverse... it is allowing pressurized air to be purged through that leak.

Hope this helps

Louie

hmmmmm

well....

considering i run 13.8's @ 96 MPH..... and you are running 13.9's @ 102 MPH.... I would guess that your launching isn't that great. What type of 60's are you seeing? Your launch is very important.

102 MPH should have you low 13's I'd think.

well

well before the intake i was runing 107 mph and 108. at 13.0 my 60's are high 2.5's but that isnt going to do anything for mph.

brent

Whoa, 2.5 60'? Something's wrong here. You have a TA 49 and a 3,000 stall convertor. with sticky tires you should be running MUCH lower 60' times. My 2.3 60' was launching at idle with no powerbraking and a 49 and stock convertor. Are you spinning or bogging?

What kind of cam do you have to need a big stall like that. I've seen people with a bigger stall run 3-4 tenths slower then the stock stall ,maybe its killing your 60' times. I have seen alot of people have prob with getting these intakes to run good at first , i'd say tune it the best you can . I would think you sould be in the 12's easy.

hope you get that 12' sec run ,good luck

OK

I was running 2/55/60/15 that night and i was leaving off vacum. i have stock cam. when i had my old intake i was pulling 1.7 60's on my e.t streets.

brent

It sounds alot like a tuning problem.

Is that Unocal 118 your using? I have been having problems with running 118, and with talking to turbodave it may be too much octane. I guess he went faster with 114 than he did with 118.

Also, why is yours a "replica" V1? Did you take one and copy it? Jay does alot of work on these things to get them to flow correctly. Looking at my v2, he does ALOT of work. Maybe your gutted intake just doesnt cut it.

Since you changed the intake, I would start looking there. What exactly did you do to it? I kept mine conservative. I made it into a big open airbox and ported it to the felpro 1200 intake gaskets. Are all the runners the same? What exactly did you do inside? Any vacuum/boost leaks?

yeah

thats what mine is its a open air box inside the runners are all the same size and it is ported and polished to the felpro 1200.
how do i tell if there is any vac. or boost leaks? could it be leaking inbetween the turbo and inake cause this? since there is a intercooler hose there coul that be the probelm?

brent

Brent bought the intake already modified. The guy he got it from said he picked up 6 tenths after putting it on his motor, with a similar combo.

There is no way his converter is to big, at the track it wont stall past 2 grand and build more than 4-5psi. Its a junk Hughes that is overated at being a 3000 stall. If we had the slicks on that night I probably would not have gone faster than 13.5's it went 13.o last time at 108mph. We thought it would pickup on mph with the intake. But it dropped 6mph. Tune was the same as before except fuel pressure. But we played with that at the track.

The only thing I can think of is if you can't find a problem swap the intake back to stock and see if the mph picks up.

OK

Well when i change over the turbo i had to cut the intake side of the housing and tha adapter. to seal it i use a intercooler hose with hose clamps. it has been on the car for over a year now and the intercooler hose is starting to get in bad shap. it is really soft oil feeling and its stareting to deform bad. well when i put the intake on i couldnt find my new hose so i had to re-use that hose. i thought it would work but maybe not. COuld thast hose be leaking there and be causeing this problem? a serious lose of power to the rear wheels? i was running the saem kinda gas the last time at the track so it isnt the gas. i think its that hoswe thats the only thing it could be. and i know the intake is good because the guy i bought it from had it on 1 of his hotair cars and he has the turbomotion v1 intake on another hotair. he made the intake almost identical to the v1 and sold it to me. he said he picked up 6 thenths. nothing loooks bad on the intake i know alot and i did a visual on it and all looked very nice looked like the pics i saw of the v1. anyways i think it is the intercooler hose what do u think?

brent:confused:

Could be the intake hose. Can you hear a screeching or hissing noise under boost? How's the idle?

think it's leaking... this is how you find out

1. Start car - let it idle

2. Find a 4" foot length of rubber fuel line

3. Stick one end of fuel line in the ear of choice

4. Use the other end of the rubber hose to listen for the leak at the turbo/intake adapter located near the firewall. If you hear any sucking noise that is a vacuum leak. That vacuum leak becomes worse at boost except it is in reverse... it is allowing pressurized air to be purged through that leak.

Hope this helps

Make sure you don't have an exhaust leak at the header/up-pipe joint, you'll lose a lot of boost there.

Back