My Heart and Oil Pump are Broken...

Nacho_WE4

:(
Well we finally cranked the motor after 7 years of silence. We replaced all the fluids. I primed the motor by removing the orange ECM wire. Everything appeared fine until the motor started and would keep dying after a few seconds. The Oil light would stay on consistantly.

We took the passenger valve cover off and the oil line to the turbo. I cranked it over again and no oil was coming out anywhere. So we are pretty much assuming the oil pump is bad. Just not sure why it would go out since the car hasn't been touched.

So the question is, how much is another oil pump and how hard is it to fix?

Nacho - on your other thread we mentioned that you should prime the motor with a edrill/primer tool!!! My GN's oil pump loses its prime over the winter when it is in storage, yours probably did too.

Prime the motor with a drill and turn the crank over by hand to make sure the bearings have lube.

You can use a small block chevy priming tool - autozone has them.

Good luck!

Thanks for the ray of sunshine guys!!!

Yea I figured the ECM Priming would be enuff but again, that's what I get for (ass)uming.

Do ya'll have a part number for that primer at Autozone?

Some people prime the oil pump by disconnecting the line to the oil cooler, and filling the pump through that hose. Might try that, if you can't find the tool.

Nacho_WE4 said:
....... Everything appeared fine until the motor started and would keep dying after a few seconds. The Oil light would stay on consistantly.
"Keep dying ....." --- If I would have ran a dry motor more than once without any oil at the bearings .............. personally? .............. I would make DAMN sure the bearings are not scored and ruin the crank. Hope I am wrong.

Jerryl said:
"Keep dying ....." --- If I would have ran a dry motor more than once without any oil at the bearings .............. personally? .............. I would make DAMN sure the bearings are not scored and ruin the crank. Hope I am wrong.

How can I check to see how the bearings look?

drop the pan, pull a main cap or two and rod cap or two. you might want to post pics of the bearings and get some opinions on their condition.

here's hoping for the best.

:cool:

Depends how many times you tried to start the motor, and how much it actually ran. it's likely that there was at least some small film of oil still on the journals. If you only tried a couple times then gave up, then I'd just prime the damn thing with the drill and forget about tearing into the motor for now, especially if you have a rebuild planned in the future. hell, the bearings probably have some degree of erosion from sitting all those years anyhow. however, if you ran it for any real length of time or started it multiple times, it might be worth a look. guess I just have an aversion for tearing into the motor unnecessarily. JMO

BASS said:
So, what ever happened??
My wife drove my GN for somewhere between 6 -10 miles (mostly on the highway) due to the top of the oil pump drive gear being sheared off. (Clearance problem in the oil pump) The car had about 75,000 miles on it at the time if I remember right. What a lot of clatter when she pulled up in the driveway. She thought something was wrong with the exhaust. :rolleyes: The car drove fine for another 75,000 miles without any problems. Sometimes you can just get lucky. I wish you good luck.