You can type here any text you want

My jeep steering shaft I purchased has play in it :(

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gnfanatic

I bought it from a board member awhile back. The steering wheel always had play but I couldnt pinpoint it. Well I finally realized there is play in the sleeve part of the steering shaft. The top part will move a lot more then the bottom part. Can I buy a NEW steering shaft?? Is there maybe a bushing in that sleeve so i can rebuild it? I cant afford a $275 flaming river piece.

Originally there was a hard plastic injected so it would stay in place and to get it to move it has to be heated. Sometimes it's over heated and the plastic melts out so rather than a hard movement it's really easy to move. You could take some plastic and put it in the hole and mark the shaft where it needs to be, and then heat it up so the plastic melts back in place to hold it.

I regret doing mine. Biggest waste of time. Someday if I ever drive the car enough to care I'm going to put the stock one back in.

Originally there was a hard plastic injected so it would stay in place and to get it to move it has to be heated. Sometimes it's over heated and the plastic melts out so rather than a hard movement it's really easy to move. You could take some plastic and put it in the hole and mark the shaft where it needs to be, and then heat it up so the plastic melts back in place to hold it.
interesting. I thought there was nothing in there so you can increase/decrease the length of the shaft and after so many years it develops play? I was thinking of marking the slider so I know the proper length and just drilling a hole and installing a bolt and nut through it. What about that?

interesting. I thought there was nothing in there so you can increase/decrease the length of the shaft and after so many years it develops play? I was thinking of marking the slider so I know the proper length and just drilling a hole and installing a bolt and nut through it. What about that?
That would work but if you tighten the bolt to much you might collapse the shaft some. The other issue is that it's supposed to collapse in a wreck so you'd need to use a very small diameter bolt or you might end up with a steering wheel in your face. That's why the stock one is like it is.;)

nothing a couple of tack welds wouldn't take care of... and if the car ever was hit hard enough to collapse the shaft, the welds would just break and it would function normally.

Back