You can type here any text you want

My lifters sit off to the side of the cam lobes...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sal 87WE2

--NONE--
First off let me say that my engine runs fine but i notice yesterday after i removed my intake that my lifters sit off to the side the lobes somewhat. I thought they should sit in the center? Is this common? see attached pics...

Attachments

• IMG00376-20110102-1648.jpg
    IMG00376-20110102-1648.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG00376-20110102-1648c.jpg
    IMG00376-20110102-1648c.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 314
If you take a close look at the amount of offset between the lifter and the centerline of the cam lobe you'll notice the #3 exhaust lifter has a lot less offset than the other lifters. This is why Buick V6 engines typically experience premature wear on that lobe / lifter. I know it's a bit off topic but it seemed relevant.

Neal

Yup.. and lifter spinning=normal. Once it stalls.. you wipe out the cam/lifter.

Think the term on the #3 was back cut.

Time for an oil debate and stalling lifters :D

Lifters offset from the lobe center plus lifter crown and lobe taper all combine to ensure the lifter spins.

#3 exhaust is sometimes almost dead center and many times over center, causing it to spin opposite of its mates on that side (bank). This is the reason that the cam grinders that are aware of this issue will have a reverse taper on that particular lobe.

Lifters offset from the lobe center plus lifter crown and lobe taper all combine to ensure the lifter spins.

#3 exhaust is sometimes almost dead center and many times over center, causing it to spin opposite of its mates on that side (bank). This is the reason that the cam grinders that are aware of this issue will have a reverse taper on that particular lobe.

Scott,

You're right about the reversed taper on the #3 exhaust lobe. I discussed this with Reed Oliver at Crower a number of years ago. The problem is that the amount of offset from the centerline of the lobe determines the rate of lifter spin while the crown of the lifter face / lobe taper induce lifter spin. Due to the poor mechanical relationship between the lobe and lifter on the #3 exhaust the reverse taper is sort of a band aid fix. The decreased rate of spin will still cuase premature wear on that lobe.

Neal

Back