You can type here any text you want

Mystery Piston ID Challenge

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNTIM

I recently purchased a package deal on small block Chevy parts and a short block was included. I can't find anything on the pistons, but here are some pics. Number stamped on top reads 6098A2. Thanks

Attachments

• MysterPistons 003.jpg
    MysterPistons 003.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 178
  • MysterPistons 004.jpg
    MysterPistons 004.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 175
  • MysterPistons 005.jpg
    MysterPistons 005.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 170
Looks like a TRW forging. Measure the skirt and compression height and you may be able to figure out what there for, 350, 383, stroker, etc. I'm not familiar with that number, but several, Speed Pro, etc. used that same forging.

long rod 383 piston, 6.0 rod I reckon, the floating pin and dome looks like Circle track stuff. The machining and dome also makes me think it is a Probe or Arias piston.

Maybe....

A.j.

Thanks for the input, my guess was Arias only because of the A in the part number. And yes, it is a 383 with 6.0 rod. The guy who built the motor is long dead and I think the motor was assembled quite a while ago, so that makes it harder to I.D. I do know that it was going into his personal car and it has every mod done to the block, a high nickel one with polished valley and more. Carillo rods, crower crank, file fit piston rings...

Those domes make me wonder if it was set up for 2.15 intake and 1.625 exhaust valves? Looks like something I used in a 383 for an IMCA Car a while back.

And I bet all of those goodies still cost less than building a solid 3.8!

Dammit.

:biggrin: A.j.

Good point about the domes. In the parts lot there were several aluminum Bowtie heads.The guy owned a SBC shop and this motor was going into his personal 55 Bel Air. The story I got was that his wife said this motor was his master piece with every trick he knew inside.

In the early 80's Diamond was making circle track pistons for Speed-Pro.
they had several different C/D combinations for popular builds at the time.
They were using TRW forgings made for them at that time.

Back