You can type here any text you want

Napa Radiator

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I was told by a knowledgable source that if you have an aluminum radiator you must change your fluid at least yearly, as the additives will wear out quicker. Has something to do with the aluminum being different than the iron engine block material, thus causing an electrical charge. A friend of mine says this is called an "eddy" current. Any opinions on this?

I was told by a knowledgable source that if you have an aluminum radiator you must change your fluid at least yearly, as the additives will wear out quicker. Has something to do with the aluminum being different than the iron engine block material, thus causing an electrical charge. A friend of mine says this is called an "eddy" current. Any opinions on this?

i dont know if that happens with aluminum radiators but if it does, i would think that it would also happen with the original radiator considering they r not iron like the blocks either. they are brass and copper i believe.

no matter what though, it is never a bad idea to change ur coolant once a year!

Electrolosis. When running aluminum heads, block, radiators then electrolosis is a problem. You are supposed to run a particular brand of antifreeze, and I always forget what that stuff is called. Someone smarter than me will chime in with what it is. This antifreeze will keep the electrolosis from occurring and creating corrosion in the radiator. :cool:

i found this on a yahoo search!
_Electrolysis Contamination
pretty cool stuff!

i think DexCool was the new coolant that was supposed to reduce electrolysis! after what i have read it seems that the more aluminum used in the cooling system, the bigger the risk of electolysis occuring. as long as u change ur coolant mixture before it starts breaking down u willl be fine! u can check it by using a volt meter. ground on the battery and dip the other end into the coolant mixture at the radiator. if u have over, i think it was .3V then u may have an electrolysis problem.

Nevermind about the dual fan question, I bought BWeavy's dual fan set up with Caspers harness! sweet set up for $165 and a new 160 degree thermostat and some DEX-COOL

Got the Radiator from Autozone, $107
New GM Upper and lower radiator hoses, (not from Autozone)

Can I use the cooler in the radiator as an oil cooler? I have an external tranny cooler already.

Jason

Back