Neat alky article

25 years of subscribing and saving HPP , and my subscription is good thru july05
missed that alky useage in the article
thats the oct 04 issue
lots of HP
jim butler goes alky
i want alky on my nascar and the indy

More power to them!

You can make more power on methanol compared to gasoline... Plain and simple! Look at the fastest imports and you will see they run on Meth without an IC... The NHRA sport compact class/series called Pro RWD has several cars (Titan Motorsports, Steph's AEM Civic, and Matt Hartford's Cavalier) running 6.50's at over 210 MPH and keep in mind these guys are limited to 6 cylinders and 3.5 litres... The minimum weight for the class is 2350lbs so according to the HP calculator these guys are making close to 1800 HP!!!:eek: Could they make this much HP on gasoline?? I doubt it!

instead of a mister nozzle it looks like they used 4 Fuel injectors mounted on a fuel rail in the uppipe spraying in methanol under electronic controll

its not one of razors :confused:

Originally posted by pacecarta
instead of a mister nozzle it looks like they used 4 Fuel injectors mounted on a fuel rail in the uppipe spraying in methanol under electronic controll

No my controller isnt on that motor. The article says a Haltech and a FAST. But the Haltech was boost and rpm referenced.. and its designed to run with fuel injectors(160's).

Tho I dont know of any fuel injector that can handle alcohol 24/7.

If I could find some huge alcohol injectors.. i'd be all over it.

Got to love the power that can be made..

Originally posted by pacecarta

I have the popular hotrod magazine article on this engine. It is running on straight methanol, not gas and methanol. The engine has two sets of 160Lb. injectors per cylinder and the 4 additional 160 lb. injectors in the up-pipe to keep up with methanols almost three times volume requirement over gasoline. Very impressive none-the-less, but it is running on straight methanol. Drew

Razor... look into the Flex fuel vehicles that GM produces. They have alcohol compatible fuel systems. Also may investigate South American applications as they run a lot of alcohol fuels down there. Don't know if you can just go to your local GM dealer and ask for them, but imagine if you had a part number they possibly can get them for you. HTH's -Chuck

Originally posted by Razor
No my controller isnt on that motor. The article says a Haltech and a FAST. But the Haltech was boost and rpm referenced.. and its designed to run with fuel injectors(160's).

Tho I dont know of any fuel injector that can handle alcohol 24/7.

If I could find some huge alcohol injectors.. i'd be all over it.

Got to love the power that can be made..

Julio, John Wilde told me that Duttweiler is using some HUGE injectors on some of his motors (200-300lb/hr).... The biggest bosch injector is 160-165lb/hr as far as I know so these are probably made by a different company....

The 160's are propane injectors. Problem is any alky compatible injector is typically small. All the flex fuel vehicles are econo boxes.. and those injectors are big big bucks.. when you say stainless.. it goes up up up... And the flex fuel vehicles are to run ethanol which is 85%.

Drew, I only brough the article up cuase I thought it was cute to see the trend going to alky as a fuel on a turbo charged motor. It is the future..

But as a fuel its pretty nasty stuff, and lots of maintenance. Let alone running straight alcohol.. with cylinder wash down, and other issues... its a lot of work.

Chuck, Brick.. thanks..

That Ron's flying toilet system also appears to maybe show some promise.

But all this stuff is lots of $$$.. as always :D

Razor, I certainly wasn't knocking you or your kit in any way shape or form. I made that comment for pacecarta, when he was pointing out that it looked like it had 4 alky injectors and not your kit. Alky has great promise as you said if it wasn't so harsh in corrosion terms. I used to race open modified Go-carts when I was younger and we ran the stuff. As a matter of fact we used to make close to 30 hp. out of a single cylinder N/A 9:1 compression flat head style motor that was just shy of 15 cubic inches. I know what potential the stuff has. However, as you say it is very nasty stuff. We would have to change the oil after every 20 minute run, basically run 20 laps at a 3/8 mile track and dump the oil, because it was a green slimy milkshake. We also had to dump the oil after all the racing was done when we got reay to head home, because the alky in the crankcase would rust the crank and cam and pit the aluminum rod if it was allowed to sit overnight. We also pulled the fuel lines off the engine after the night of racing was over and ran race gas with a couple ounces of two-stroke oil throught the fuel pump carb and let it run for a short time on gas. If this was not performed the carbs, and fuel pumps would just turn to white powdery dust. But as you said it certainly made power and smelled great doing it :D Drew
Originally posted by Razor
The 160's are propane injectors. Problem is any alky compatible injector is typically small. All the flex fuel vehicles are econo boxes.. and those injectors are big big bucks.. when you say stainless.. it goes up up up... And the flex fuel vehicles are to run ethanol which is 85%.

Drew, I only brough the article up cuase I thought it was cute to see the trend going to alky as a fuel on a turbo charged motor. It is the future..

But as a fuel its pretty nasty stuff, and lots of maintenance. Let alone running straight alcohol.. with cylinder wash down, and other issues... its a lot of work.

Chuck, Brick.. thanks..

That Ron's flying toilet system also appears to maybe show some promise.

But all this stuff is lots of $$$.. as always :D