Need 17" Tire Advice...

Finally found a local tire dealer willing to order the Continentals. The "All-Season" version seems to pop up first when tire dealers perform a search. Was on the verge of using Tire Rack & having them delivered to my house. Hopefully this project will be completed by next week.

Part # 15506480000 = 235/45-17
Part # 15506550000 = 255/45-17

Thanks everyone. I will provide feedback after they arrive.

~JM~,
While the wheels and tires are off and dismounted is a good time to measure the wheel width and backspacing so you know exactly what you have.

George

~JM~,
While the wheels and tires are off and dismounted is a good time to measure the wheel width and backspacing so you know exactly what you have.

George

Yes. I removed the wheels & measured yesterday. It looks like 4" back space. Rubber is still mounted at this time.

I want to thank those of you who recommended the Continental tires.

Was finally able to try them out this evening. WOW! Completely transformed the car. It has never been this nice to drive before.

How many times do you check the lug nuts after a wheel change? I applied some anti-sieze & torqued to 100 ft.lbs. I've checked 4 times already. The rear wheels seem to have settled in, but the fronts haven't yet.

Thanks.

I want to thank those of you who recommended the Continental tires.

Was finally able to try them out this evening. WOW! Completely transformed the car. It has never been this nice to drive before.

How many times do you check the lug nuts after a wheel change? I applied some anti-sieze & torqued to 100 ft.lbs. I've checked 4 times already. The rear wheels seem to have settled in, but the fronts haven't yet.

Thanks.

With an aluminum wheel, you should only have to re-check the torque after the first 25 miles or so.

What did you put the anti-seize on?

If any of it got on the tapered part of the lug nut or the seat on the wheel, your torque readings are going to be way off and you'll snap a stud in short order. Wheel lug torque ratings aren't for a lubricated interface. Pull them back apart and clean them well, and put them back on without the anti-sieze.

Glad you like the Continentals. They really are a great tire.

Anti-seize on the wheel studs threads.

Initial torque to 80 ft.lbs. Then brought up to 100. Drove around block at idle speed & then re-torqued. Brought speed up to 45 mph through town, then re-torqued. Brought speed up to the 70 mph range for a few miles, then re-torqued. Came home & parked.

I was very surprised how compliant the tires are. Smooth riding, quick response and very grippy.