You can type here any text you want

Need a lifter measurement.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jpwalt1987

Hey guys I need a favor. I need to know the distance from the base of the roller to where the pushrod sits in a T/A / morrell lifter and a Comp 885. The pushrods I have with the morrels measure 8.200. I am hoping that I can reuse them. I am switching out to the 885 lifters. Any help would be great. I would like to get the pushrods ordered if there is a big difference without having to wait forever. Thanks.

youll need shorter rod to go from comps to morrel , morrels are approx .150 -.175 taller to the cup
the 8.200-8.250 rods should be the correct rod for iron head and comp roller lifters . the morrel rods should be around 8.05o

I am actually going from the morrels to the comps. The pushrods are 8.200 with the morrels. The morrels wont turn the rpm I need.

I guess I will have to wait and measure once the comps are in. BTW the morrels will be for sale.

I am actually going from the morrels to the comps. The pushrods are 8.200 with the morrels. The morrels wont turn the rpm I need.

with the pushrods you have and morrels im not surprised
the problem arose when vendors were selling comp roller cam kits and had issues with comp lifter quality (and clacking) the morells came out and the vendors werent aware of the height difference and were just swapping the comp lifters for morells and sending out the kits with same pushrods they had for the comps

this is why you need to measure ,

the 8.200 should be fine with comps (if you have adjustable rockers like T+D ) but again you should measure and get the preload correct with the right length rod , those 885s only require .002 preload and thats not really possible without adjustable rockers and measuring for the correct length rod to start with

The engine was a complete build by DLS but I requested the morrel lifters. It won't turn over 5500. The springs are plenty for the application. I have T&D roller rockers on GN1 aluminum heads. I have a pushrod checker so I will double check everything. Just wanted to know how much difference there was between the two lifters. Thanks for the help.

huh? with GN1 aluminum and comps pushrods should be around 8.650-8.700

make sure the T+D adjuster is correctly positioned in the rocker before taking your measurement , it needs to be correct for proper oiling
look from underside and cup edge of adjuster should be set between flush to lifter body (not recessed ) and up to two turn out from flush (note each turn =.050") , i would set at 1 turn out and measure using pushrod checker and at zero lash since the 885 takes very little preload

Use the push rod checker.

Do you know for sure how much spring pressure you have? What springs?

youll need shorter rod to go from comps to morrel , morrels are approx .150 -.175 taller to the cup
the 8.200-8.250 rods should be the correct rod for iron head and comp roller lifters . the morrel rods should be around 8.05o

Roger that. I just did a iron head roller cam with t&d's and 885's. Ended up 8.200.

The 8.200 number is what was on the invoice. I have yet to take it apart and verify but will this week. The springs are comp cams #26926. The t and d rockers have about one full thread showing out of the top of the nut.

Update:

I pulled the manifold last night and the pushrods were indeed 8.200 with the morrell lifters. This motor has GN1 aluminum heads and shaft mount T&D rockers, .040 cosmetics and the block and heads have been milled to minimum cleanup.
I replaced the morrells with the Comp 885s and remeasured using a pushrod measuring tool. I came up with 8.375. That is zero lash/zero preload. I did however back off the adjuster nut 1/4 turn from were it was with the morrells because I had tightened the preload by 1/4 turn early on in the life of the motor in an effort to quieten down some tapping.
The pushrods that were in the motor have a wall thickness of .105 also.
Now to find some pushrods that fit. I will look around but if you guys know of any then let me know. Thanks.

The engine was a complete build by DLS but I requested the morrel lifters. It won't turn over 5500. The springs are plenty for the application. . . . .

Now to find some pushrods that fit. I will look around but if you guys know of any then let me know. Thanks.

The Morell lifters are the cause of this? Either you have a bad set, or . . . for once . . . I got lucky.
If the lifters are the issue, I am surprised such a respected builder installed them in the motor.
Not questioning your finings or the builder, just trying to understand. . . . . o_O

Contact Smith Brothers for pushrods. They can get you what you need.

Back