You can type here any text you want

Need advice dropping front end...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

PSID6

So I put my GN on a serious diet, mostly the front end and it has raised the front end about a half inch. what would be the easiest way to drop it back down that half inch ?

No "easy" way, probably just cutting the springs a bit might be your best bet but that is always a crap shoot on how much to cut and how much it will drop.

The " heat wrench" will drop it a half inch pretty easy and pretty safely. I don't like dropping the car this way, but it won't kill the spring to get a half inch.
Stack blocking under the main frame crossmember under the engine. Make sure it has the exact clearance your looking for. Heat a small area and let it settle. Try to count about how long you heated. Repeat on the other side. You won't need much to get a half inch. Let it cool for a few hours and the take out blocking and measure.

That's the kind of easy I was looking for lol. The older I get the easier I want things to be. Thanks for the replies

Always remember if you Heat the springs or if you cut the springs you will alter the 'Rate' of the springs! ;)

scot w. said:
Always remember if you Heat the springs or if you cut the springs you will alter the 'Rate' of the springs! ;)

Not so much for a 1/2 inch. To change the properties of the steel, it would have to be a bigger area then what it will take for only a finger width drop.
I agree if he were going for 2 inches or more like we did as kids...hahaha. Those were the days.

Not so much for a 1/2 inch. To change the properties of the steel, it would have to be a bigger area then what it will take for only a finger width drop.
I agree if he were going for 2 inches or more like we did as kids...hahaha. Those were the days.
No doubt! what we did as kids still amazes me that we are still around to this day... LOL

Although this may be okay for just slightly dropping the car I just don't like to condone taking a torch to spring steel as it does weaken it. How much in this case I guess no one will really know. I would just get with someone who knows the MOOG springs well (Charlief1) and they can probably size them up properly and you wouldn't have weakened springs in the front..

Cutting springs = Increases rate = stiffer ride quality

Torching springs (even for a 1/2") = Will weaken the tensile strength of the coils in the spot where you heated it with a torch regardless if it's 2" or 1/2" the end result may look cool for a while until the spring breaks at that spot where it was heated..

Back