You can type here any text you want

Need advice on head stud sealant

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbodave231

Here is the problem: Driver side head studs seeping water externally and inside the valve cover since I assembled this engine. I sealed the studs in the block using Permatex 14H Thread sealant with teflon.

The passenger side head didn't seem to seep any water, but a few of the heads studs were loose enough to turn them by hand when I removed the head. Seems like the stuff didn't stay on the threads very good.

After some searching, seems like some guys use Ultra Blue RTV, and some prefer loctite products.

OK, here is the question for those of you with head studs and no water seepage: What is the best sealer to use on head studs to prevent seepage?

sealant

This is what I have found to work best, (clean threads in block and on studs with brake cleaner, after chasing threads in block) Use any good silicone sealant (Ultra blue) and smear on threads and run into block, back out and recoat and run in again until bottomed out, then snug with pliers. Wipe excess of (obviously can/t do that with head on but don/t see what it can hurt) Let sit overnight and torque heads on. Much better than teflon pipe sealant.
I use to use teflon and would have one seep occasionally, never had a leak since going to the Ultra black.

Re: sealant

Originally posted by Lee Thompson
This is what I have found to work best, (clean threads in block and on studs with brake cleaner, after chasing threads in block) Use any good silicone sealant (Ultra blue) and smear on threads and run into block, back out and recoat and run in again until bottomed out, then snug with pliers. Wipe excess of (obviously can/t do that with head on but don/t see what it can hurt) Let sit overnight and torque heads on. Much better than teflon pipe sealant.
I use to use teflon and would have one seep occasionally, never had a leak since going to the Ultra black.
kenny d also sealed all john gallina's headstuds with silicone. neal said the same thing. so thats what i use. so far so good!

Bill,

I tried the GM coolant seal tabs and still had the seepage. I'm gonna try the RTV just like Lee said. I'll smear a little in the block threads with a small rod and let the studs cure over night before I install the heads.

A friend suggested the Moroso Ceramic seal. I have a bottle to try if the RTV doesn't completely seal things up.

Dave

Have you tried KW block seal? I don't think it is compatible with antifreeze though.

Dave,

Using silicone should work fine. I played around with a few different sealants including ARP thread sealant and some teflon based Locktite stuff nothing really worked until I started using silicone. GM coolant tabs might help if the engine is in the car and you want a quick fix but all that radiator stop leak stuff will eventually plug up your cooling system.

Neal

Time

Give the RTV some of the above (as in 4/5 days to set up>.)
The GM pellets are sourced from BARS, GM has used them for decades.
I like their stuff in the Grey bottle better than the pellets.

Good Luck,
Gary

Back