Need an updated chip?

Johnnie

I have an all stock low mile '87 GN. ( The previous owner told me that EVERYTHING is as it was when it rolled off the showroom floor) I read here once that I needed an "updated chip" to compensate for today's lower octane fuels. Is this true? If so, can Eric at TT hook me up?
Johnnie

Well, I received my TT 5.7 chip yesterday. I am quite proud of myself ( I'm relatively chickensh*t when it comes to working on my GN) as I installed it myself. ( hey , don"t laugh .... I'm a noob hahah) . I fired it up, drove around for about 20 minutes letting the ecm learn my driving style. Went to get something to eat, ( keeping an eye on my car from the restaurant window) , came out and fired her up. The first thing I noticed was a much *nicer*' idle. I stepped into it a little bit, and she seemed to pull noticeably harder even at only 5 lbs of boost. "Oh boy!", I thought, with a smile on my face.
I haven't WOT'd it yet as I am hesitant to do that without a scanmaster / power logger, and I won't until I get those. But about 3/4 throttle I have , but only for a short time. Definitely pulls stronger.
Eric, I found your instructions very comprehensive and easily understood. I'm putting them in my GN folder so I can refer to them when the time comes to fine tuning it.
Kind of interesting as what was in there was a "pit bull" chip HP 137TX. I may be wrong, but am assuming it is a very old (potentially dangerous?) chip. Glad I got the TT one.
Thank you, Eric.

Last edited:
Well, I received my TT 5.7 chip yesterday. I am quite proud of myself ( I'm relatively chickensh*t when it comes to working on my GN) as I installed it myself. ( hey , don"t laugh .... I'm a noob hahah) . I fired it up, drove around for about 20 minutes letting the ecm learn my driving style. Went to get something to eat, ( keeping an eye on my car from the restaurant window) , came out and fired her up. The first thing I noticed was a much *nicer*' idle. I stepped into it a little bit, and she seemed to pull noticeably harder even at only 5 lbs of boost. "Oh boy!", I thought, with a smile on my face.
I haven't WOT'd it yet as I am hesitant to do that without a scanmaster / power logger, and I won't until I get those. But about 3/4 throttle I have , but only for a short time. Definitely pulls stronger.
Eric, I found your instructions very comprehensive and easily understood. I'm putting them in my GN folder so I can refer to them when the time comes to fine tuning it.
Kind of interesting as what was in there was a "pit bull" chip HP 137TX. I may be wrong, but am assuming it is a very old (potentially dangerous?) chip. Glad I got the TT one.
Thank you, Eric.
(y)