Need combo advice

dsapper

Hello all, I have a few questions that I'm hoping you guys can help me with or get your opinions on.

I'm building a pro-touring car and its already there with the suspension and a 6x tci transmission is on the way. The car will never hit the track for anything more than something to do on a thursday night and will be street driven 99% of the time, if not 100%.

My question relates to my combo for the engine, if this were an LS motor I would know exactly what to do. I'm looking for the best combo for a street-able 5-600 horsepower motor and trying to do it without touching the bottom end at the moment. I'm trying to get the least amount of turbo lag possible and alot of low end power.

I have T/A stainless steel race headers, rjc 3" downpipe and cotton performance dual 2.5" exhaust. I also have the big mouth 4" k&n intake, ls1 maf and larger maf pipe. My tb and upper plenum is being ported by throttlebodies.com. I upgraded to the slic pte intercooler. I have a 3 core aluminum radiator etc.

I plan on upgrading the turbo (mine has leaky seals), going with razors alky kit and doing a head/cam upgrade.

This is where my question comes in. Assuming champion aluminum heads (iron's look nice but I need the weight savings off the front end to get close to a 50/50 weight ratio, already having carbon hood and fenders being made.) and a champion ported stock intake manifold, what cam (brand and duration/lift), which roller rockers (ratio and brand) and what turbo would get me where I'm trying to be at best in your opinion?

oh, if it matters the torque converter hasnt been decided on and I'm open to suggestions there. This is all going through a 3.50 gear ford 9" rear

Thanks for any advice you guys can give

I'd say your on the right track. I just built a similar setup and just got it running yesterday so I can't really confirm anything just yet but I have a TE-44 turbo (pretty small) running aluminum Champions (14 bolt) with the 1.65 scorpion adjustable rockers, and a ported champion intake. I chose a 212/212 comp cam, have ATR headers and a 3" downpipe. I'm a pro-touring guy as well and I'm more concerned with bottom and mid range power over anything else. I drove the car around the block yesterday and it feels very responsive and fast at 1/4 throttle and under 10 psi. It's spools instantly which was one of my biggest concerns. I'm running a 3200 PTS billet 9X11 convertor but there are several choices out there. people are going to tell you not to waste money on the aluminum heads since you don't really need them to make 500-600 ponies but I say go for it. If it makes it easier to make more power at lower boost levels, why not? If you have the money one of those new billet ball bearing turbos would be a nice way to go. I'm no turbo buick expert but I did learn a lot over the past 2 months building mine,feel free to PM me with any questions.

Paul

I'm probably not the best person to ask but the one you are looking it is way too big. It has a .85 exhaust housing that would take forever to spool, that's more of an all out race turbo in my opinion. Maybe a 6265 precision but honestly don't take my word for it, I still need to do more research on turbos.

Paul

My current combo is close to what your doing and is very streetable. On the tune i have now which is fat and only @ 21#'s of boost dynoed at 530hp. Doesnt get any hotter than 170 degrees and a/c freezes you out.