You can type here any text you want

Need Comp 885 and Morrel Lifter Dimensions Please....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
See the picture below. I need some lifter dimensions to check against the factory hydraulic roller lifters.... as to the position and width of the oil band relative to the roller. Since I don't have any lifter except the stockers to measure... I need some help.

The Comp 853's and Comp 885's dimensions are desired.....

The new Morrel lifters that TA Performance sells and maybe Weber Racing is definately desired.

See picture below for the "A", "B", and "C" dimensions I need. These don't have to be super precise.... eyeballing with a dial caliper is OK..... just no tape measure measurements.

Any help is appreciated.

Here is the pic:

Attachments

• lifter dimensions.jpg
    lifter dimensions.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 308
I'll help...have a set of Morels soaking in oil, a nice digital caliper, a passion for detail, and keen hawk-like vision :)

Let me confirm:

Dim A is bottom of roller to where the lifter full diameter ends.

Dim B is the trough from full diameter to full diameter

Dim C is length of the full diameter shown.

By full diameter I mean the point where the chamfer begins....wouldn't think you would want any dimensions other than the full diameter dimensions.

Bob

I'll help...have a set of Morels soaking in oil, a nice digital caliper, a passion for detail, and keen hawk-like vision :)

Let me confirm:

Dim A is bottom of roller to where the lifter full diameter ends.

Dim B is the trough from full diameter to full diameter

Dim C is length of the full diameter shown.

By full diameter I mean the point where the chamfer begins....wouldn't think you would want any dimensions other than the full diameter dimensions.

Bob

Pretty much.... I just need to compare my stock hyd rollers to see if the oil band is a differnt length... or machined at a different height compared to aftermarket lifters (that don't have any know relationship to oil pressure issues I am having)

I can do it when I get home on the Morels if no one else beats me to it. I only have a tape so it won't be the most accurate reading.

Morel (Morrel) lifter:

A = .900" +/-.010

B = .624" +/-.005

C = .458 +/-.005

Overall A to C = 2.000" +/-.010 (bottom of roller to top of C)

Top of A to top of C = 1.097" +/-.005

OD = .843" +/-.001

Wore magnifying eyeglass gizmo of wife's....had to sight along the bottom of roller which is why I have more doubt about roller related measurements.

Note: As an unplanned overcheck, the .900 and the 1.097 dimension should equal the overall 2.000... Each measurement is of course independent of the other...didn't consider a math check until I was typing the info...nominally it's pretty close!!

HTH, Bob

Morel (Morrel) lifter:

A = .900" +/-.010

B = .624" +/-.005

C = .458 +/-.005

Overall A to C = 2.000" +/-.010 (bottom of roller to top of C)

Top of A to top of C = 1.097" +/-.005

OD = .843" +/-.001

Wore magnifying eyeglass gizmo of wife's....had to sight along the bottom of roller which is why I have more doubt about roller related measurements.

Note: As an unplanned overcheck, the .900 and the 1.097 dimension should equal the overall 2.000... Each measurement is of course independent of the other...didn't consider a math check until I was typing the info...nominally it's pretty close!!

HTH, Bob

Thanks Bob.

I'll check my stock hyd roller lifter.... which I know is much shorter.... but should be dimensionially close from the roller to the top of the oiling band....I would think.

On a side note.... and I don't know how to do this.... but one more dimension would be nice to compare... is the lifter overall length.... from where the pushrod cup is to the roller. You might could take a junk pushrod..... put it on the cup......mark a line on the pushrod... then remove it an measure that length and subtract it from the overall length. This would hopefully provide a true comparsion on length difference...

The roller to push tube seat measurement is a little harder to do and probably has more error in it. I put a push tube in place and then sighted across the top surface marking the push tube. Then measured from the mark to the shiny spherical end of the tube (where it makes contact with the lifter...not quite to the end of the tube) and subtracted that from the overall lifter length.

The result = 2.348"

Edit: I just reread your request and see I measured it in exactly the manner you described...hadn't read that part yet. A great minds thing I guess :)

Bob

The roller to push tube seat measurement is a little harder to do and probably has more error in it. I put a push tube in place and then sighted across the top surface marking the push tube. Then measured from the mark to the shiny spherical end of the tube (where it makes contact with the lifter...not quite to the end of the tube) and subtracted that from the overall lifter length.

The result = 2.348"

Edit: I just reread your request and see I measured it in exactly the manner you described...hadn't read that part yet. A great minds thing I guess :)

Bob

LOL

I even thought about taking a pushrod you don't mind destroying... and cutting off about 2" on one end.... then sticking the ball down in the lifter... and leaving a little "nub" sticking out of the lifter.... get that overall length measurement....roller to top of seated pushrod piece.... then measure the length of the pushrod piece. This will accomplish this as well...

Well I don't have any pushtube I want to cut in half :)

2.348" is probably within .020"

Bob

60 Deg V6 stock hyd roller lifters:

A = .880

B = .435

C = .310

length from bottom of roller to push rod cup = 2.015

I ended up with a 8.35 pushrod FWIW.....

I still would like some measurements from the Comp 853's and the Comp 885's.

Blazer...I'm in the process of changing my Comp Cam roller lifters to Morel...probably a waste of money as my "Clicking" from the Comp Cam rollers settled down hugely from initial engine start up and turned into a clicking (probably typical) instead of banging.

Wife is on my ass about how loud the exhaust is so reducing engine noise is directionally the right thing to do anyway.

The purpose of this note is to advise I will soon be able to compare bottom of roller to pushrod cup dimensions on the two brands. I now have a pushrod cut about 2" long that is part of an adjustable pushrod that I've made. I will soon be able to disassemble it and use the short end to compare the overall height of the two lifters. Will advise on a seperate posting.

Would you summarize what you learned from this investigation??

Bob K

Blazer...I'm in the process of changing my Comp Cam roller lifters to Morel...probably a waste of money as my "Clicking" from the Comp Cam rollers settled down hugely from initial engine start up and turned into a clicking (probably typical) instead of banging.

Wife is on my ass about how loud the exhaust is so reducing engine noise is directionally the right thing to do anyway.

The purpose of this note is to advise I will soon be able to compare bottom of roller to pushrod cup dimensions on the two brands. I now have a pushrod cut about 2" long that is part of an adjustable pushrod that I've made. I will soon be able to disassemble it and use the short end to compare the overall height of the two lifters. Will advise on a seperate posting.

Would you summarize what you learned from this investigation??

Bob K

Part was to try and determine if the "oil band" i.e. the narrow part in the middle of the lifter..... was at a different height from the bottom of the roller. The other thing I was attempting to learn..... is if the "flats" machined into the stock hyd roller lifters could possibly be traveling far enough down in the lifter bore to possibly fall into the oil galley.... therfore allowing oil to be forced up the lifter bore at the cost of oil pump volume.... and hence oil pressure. I also wanted to determine what was the difference in pushrod length between the Morrel lifters and the stock hyd. roller lifters... so I could order new pushrods prior to getting the lifter installed and mocked up.

What I learned was nothing groundbreaking..... on my custom XFI lobed comp cam.... 218/218 @ .050 - the stock hyd roller shouldn't travel far enough down the bore to "uncover" the flats in the oil galley..... however.... it is fairly close.... like .050"... if memory serves me right.... Also.... there wasn't any evidence that it might be possible that the "oil band" might travel to low and possibly allow pressurized oil out the bottom of the lifter bore.

I did prime my motor and noticed some oil seeping up the lifter bores..... not an alarming volume... but some oil seepage none-the-less. I finally got my block back from the machinist yesterday after getting the cam bearing fixed (it had spun the #2 cam bearing)....anyway..... I will be assembling the motor again within the next week.... and maybe back in the car by next weekend..... with new morrel lifters and new pushrods.

I am just attempting to squash anything remotely possible that might have been where my hot idle oil pressure had gone.... that is why I am changing lifters in addition to fixing the spun cam bearing.....

Back