Need help choosing prof graphics computer.

BLACK6PACK

1 sec reaction King
Hey guys, I've been giving our IT department a hard time because my computer at work doesn't have enough balls. They said, ok, you're do for a new computer, tell us what you want. The problem is, I don't know what I want! Right now, I'm running a P4 with 1 gig ram, don't know what graphics card or any of the other bs. Its not uncommon for me to have 6-7 programs running at once and have 2 files open that are over 300-400 megs. This is a graphic arts setup to run Dreamweaver (memory hog), Photoshop, Quark, etc. One of my biggest issues is that when you have any of the afformentioned programs open the drop down menus take up 50% of the screen. A 21" monitor would be nice, but I'd still run into the same problems. What I'd really like is to run a dual monitor setup. That way I could put all my menus on one monitor and have the actual graphics on the other. I've seen setups where the curser goes off the right side of the main monitor and shows up on the secondary monitor. Anyway, throw some hardware specs at me. Lets try to keep it reasonable, somewhere around $2000.

It would be way easy to spend the 2K on a half way decent system. You say its a p4, but what speed? My system handles opening multiple 200+ MB slide scans in photoshop with no lag. On average I have about 5-6 programs open at a time. A 21" moniter is REAL NICE to have too, I have one here at work. I was using dual 17" CRT's which it is nice to have the menus off the screen, but I like the single 21" monitor better as I can have the resolution turned WAY up and fit more on the screen.

My system specs:
Gigabyte P4 Mobo (Intel 865PE chipset)
P4 2.4 800MHZ FSB processor
1GB of PC3200 RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
1x 36GB Western Digital Raptor SATA Drive (10K rpm, windows and programs run off this drive)
2x 250GB Western Digital PATA drives (7200 rpm, lots of storage :) )
1x Sony Dual Layer, Dual Format DVD burner
Windows XP Pro

If I was to build a new system the only things I might change is a motherboard with the 875 chipset, a 3+GHZ processor and the new 76GB Raptor drive.

Thanks for the input. I think its just a 2ghz p4.

So, you like the 21" monitor vs the dual monitor setup? I'm running a 17" and its driving me nuts!

The IT guys told me to look around and give them a wishlist. They even said to look at Alienware computers, but those things are expensive, and some of the stuff I don't need. I store all my stuff on a server that gets backed up quite often, so I don't need a mac daddy hard drive.

The key is to make sure you have good components for good performance.

I would look at the AMD 64 Bit CPU. If not that one I would get an Athalon.

7200 RPM SCSI hard drive will outperform 7200 RPM IDE drive.

Radeon 9800 XT is the most kick ass card right now. 9800 pro is excellent as well.

Make sure you monitor has the highest resolution posible. at least 1600x1200 for 19"+ and if price is no object then look at this one:
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/proseries/vp2290b/

Plenty of RAM at least a GB.

Sully

Thanks guys, this is helping.

I'm running a 1gb of ram right now, and it isn't enough. I'm have a 17" viewsonic right now. This monitor would be fine if I didn't have all the menues from photoshop or dreamweaver in the way. I end up with a 6"x6" area on my screen to actually do work.

Maybe your bottleneck isn't the CPU or the RAM. What type of video card do you have right now? If you're running a low end card all of your troubles may lay right there. Also, if you're running XP disabling all of the visual effects and enhancements will help a good deal as well.

You also mentioned that your files are sitting over the network. Try copying the files to your local hard drive before editing them. If you're running an antivirus application with a real time scanner (I"m sure you are) then it is most likely set to scan network drives which can be a serious bottleneck when dealing with large files. You should look at Task Manager when you are beating on your PC to see if you really are taxing all of the CPU or using up all of your RAM. For example, if you are using a maximum of 750mb of RAM you will not benefit from going from 1gb to 2gb because you are not paging yet.

By what you are doing I'm sure that you could benefit from a faster CPU that supports Hyperthreading and has a fast FSB. Just keep in mind that there are factors other than CPU and RAM that could cause your system to operate at a snails pace. I work in IT and have seen many cases in the past where people request faster PC's due to slowness and end up disappointed with the new setup because their problem was network related or lack of video resources. I have turned many people of asking for a new PC to being perfectly happy simply by disabling visual effects, resolving any network related issues, or replacing the crappy on-board video with a good AGP card. Again, it sounds like you will definately benefit from a new PC, but you need to know where all of your problems lie so you can make a well informed decision and not be let down.

If your into grahics programs, then a dual video card is what you need.
Do you have to buy the pc already built or can you buy the parts your self.
Im using the 9700pro with 19 inch on one monitor and 17 on the other and its the best thing to ever come out for the pc. That is a must for any graphics artist on his pc.

Oh btw if your in the miami area, send me a pm so you can see my pc setup and bring the gn. :D

If you are REALLY, and I mean REALLY serious about graphics, a nice 3k-4k SGI box is the way to go.

You better brush up on *nix though. ;)

How about an Apple g5 with 23" Flat panel. I'm sure you would be happy with the speed and look.

Thanks guys for all the info! I'm a computer graphics guy not a pc guru. I know the basics, but I've been spoiled by my IT department and my dad. If I have a problem at work I tell IT to come fix it, if I have a problem at home, I tell my dad to fix it. It wastes my time trying to troubleshoot a computer, but also limits my knowledge of the higher end side of PC performance.

Buick Mike, I'll point out the issues you mentioned to my IT department. We have well over 300 computers at my company, but most of them are basic setups, I'm one of 2 graphic artists at the company, so our setup is quite different then the rest of the company.

Any more input on 1 large monitor vs 2 monitors?

If you want real estate for multiple windows and palettes I would get a flat panel display :) I run the Mac 23” cinema display on my Dell for writing Crystal reports and I love it.

For what it is worth, the company I work for writes software for the publishing industry. Most of our customers use InDesign, Photoshop, Quark….etc and use it on a Mac. Not sure if it is still the case but traditionally business software has been run on the PC and graphic design software on the Mac.

Originally posted by Renthorin
If you want real estate for multiple windows and palettes I would get a flat panel display :) I run the Mac 23” cinema display on my Dell for writing Crystal reports and I love it.

Flat panels are great, execept when you are doing graphics work for print. A CRT seems to give you much truer color and is easier to calibrate. My LCD's are darker than the CRT.

I'm using photoshop, quark, illustrator etc. Most of this software was originally done for the mac, and the mac was the mac daddy for graphics software, but that has changed. There's not much difference with the mac and pc these days, other than the mac being a little more stable and about 2x more expensive.

Yes, I have to keep a crt monitor for keeping true colors for print. That doesn't mean I can't throw a flat monitor beside it for all my docking pallets though!

I think you will be better off with 2 CRT's. Our graphics people run a single 21" and it seems like they are always fumbling around with having one window over the other. Dual monitors would get rid of this problem.