You can type here any text you want

NEED HELP-- "ECU not found" fault...what to do???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mustangracer42

I just bought a new sequential system and after installing it I can't get my laptop to connect to the ECU. I get an "ECU not found" fault. I have tried two different laptops, one with XP as an OS, and the other has NT as an OS. I also pulled my desktop out there and tried it and got the same results. My desktop has ME as it's OS. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to this stuff.
Thanks
Jeremy

Jeremy which sequential did you get? You had the key to the on position correct? If this is Excel NT4 and XP will be harder to get it to work because of the program being fully dos based.

Scott, I purchased the sequential system without individual cylinder control. The part # is FAS 30-213310.
I did have the key in the on position and the 12v switched wire (pink) has 12v going to it with the key on. I think the main problem is that I am using Windows NT and Windows XP and they are both too new to communicate properly with the ECU. I spoke with Tony and Mike at FAST and they don't know what else could be wrong. Craig and Lance are in Memphis for a few days so I can't get their input on it. It really sucks to pay so much money for something that isn't up to date as far as software goes. I understand that there are always newer versions of software coming out though so I'll be patient.

Any more input would be greatly appreciated.
Jeremy

I had the same problem and found that the connector that plugs into the computer has a ground wire in it that was not grounded. I opened up the connector and wrapped the wire around the screw that holds the connector together. I also screwed the connector into the computer.
Jeff Rand

I couldnt get the DOS version to work under XP. I installed the Windows version and not a problem since. I think it has to do with XP and port resources.

Thanks for the ideas guys. Keep 'em comin.

Jeff, I checked the ground that you described and it was making contact with the housing so it should be fine.

Jim, I tried using both the DOS version and the WP version. Both had the same result---ECU not found.

Well, forget about xp its never going to work, with the dos c-com. With windows 98 it should not be a problem. Did you go to settings and try all 4 com ports on the windows version of c-com?

The DOS version will not work under XP. XP has zero support for DOS anything.

The Windows version should work fine under any version of Windows. I've talked to one person who couldn't use the Windows version with NT, but found that after installing IE v5.5 it worked! IE 5.5 must install some newer DLL file that eliminates some problem.

Your operating system shouldn't pose any problems with communication for you. We have used the Windows version of this software with every version of Windows there is and it works fine. The problems we have seen are almost always related to some application running in the background that prevents C-Com WP from being able to use the com port.

The DOS version is a little trickier to get working on a Windows based machine, but we have it working on ME and 98 just fine. Haven't seen the DOS version work on 2000 or NT, and it definitely will not work on XP.

WOOOHOOO

Found the problem. It was the coble that is supplied in the kit that connects the ECU to the laptop. Damn thing only has three wires but one of them must have been in the wrong spot in the 9-pin connector. Mike from FAST sent me a new cable to try and it worked. I'm in business now!

To all those who have given advice and input I thank you. I'm sure I will tap into the experience of many of the users on this board again.

Jeremy

Thanks for sharing the problem. I will look into this and make sure that it doesn't happen again. Those cables are supplied by an outside manufacturer, and needless to say there are supposed to be tests in place to prevent this from happening.

Glad you are up and running.

Back