You can type here any text you want

Need help, i'm a first timer

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
get a rebuilt powermaster from Kirban Performance (vendor on here) .. some people hate em some love em.. We have had Buicks since the "good one's" came out in 86 :biggrin: We have had a LOT of Buicks over the years.. 1 I converted to vacuum brakes. I wasn't impressed so we fixed the powermaster an put it back in the car. :p

The only real complaint I have heard regarding vacuum brakes is that when youre on the throttle and suddenly have to be on the brakes you may not have the braking power you would like.

My PM just took a dump... fortunately the car isnt a DD so I can weigh my options. There are some nice show quality Hydroboost units(Pices vary, buy a complete kit, piece together your own, etc) , remanufactured Powermasters(Kirbans from $629.95) or convert to vacuum. (Master/Bosster/pedal assy from most other g-body cars with the dual diaphraghm booster + the vacuum block and some hose (and the in line check valve)

thanks for all the info guys one guy suggested to put a little bigger fuse in for a while im gonna try that first.

Think I would find someone else to get my advice from. All stock car like yours I would go vacuum. Keep the PM stuff in storage so you can give it to the next owner if you decide to sell. Car will not be original if the PM goes out and you have to replace all the front end parts or worse.:) It is giving you the signs now of it failing so do SOMETHING about it, don't keep driving it and replacing fuses.

get a rebuilt powermaster from Kirban Performance (vendor on here) .. some people hate em some love em.. We have had Buicks since the "good one's" came out in 86 :biggrin: We have had a LOT of Buicks over the years.. 1 I converted to vacuum brakes. I wasn't impressed so we fixed the powermaster an put it back in the car. :p

X2

I put a rebuilt Powermaster on my car a couple of years ago from Kirbans since I want to keep my car stock appearing. The old one lasted 20+ years and only needed replaced due to an external leak from the master cylinder. I too have heard all the horror stories of surprise failures, but I have not had that happen. Of course as a defensive driver, I don't drive any car with 100% faith in the brakes. The only complaint I had with the Kirban rebuilt powermaster unit was the external decals are not installed if you are concerned about keeping it original looking. You can buy the decals from Kirban too.
I think the key to making the powermaster last is changing the fluid by bleeding the brake system every few years, and one thing I do before storing the car for long periods is to bleed down the accumulator pressure so it's stored in a unpressurized condition.
If I had to vote on vacuum brakes or hydroboost, I'd go with hydroboost.

As for the idle jumping around. If your car is totally stock and still has the stock chip in it, this will cause the jumping idle problem. I had this on my car too and talked with Red Armstrong about it years ago and he confirmed it was a problem with the stock chip and there was a recall to replace it. Just put an aftermarket chip in there from the chip burner of your choice and you'll be more happy with the way the car runs overall.

I have total faith in my powermaster when i bought the car that was the first thing to go highway stars sells nos pumps. got an acumulator from kirban and i got a rebuilt mc from i think highway stars as well mind u i havent had the car very long to c how long it will last but i did take off the original parts with 90 000 on the car and this was about 2 years ago. Its been working fine ever since. the car will lock up the wheels if i want it to. and when they do finally go u can still stop just hopefully you dont find out in a panic situation. from what ive noticed they act just like a vaccum set up when you remove vac from the booster, hard pedal. If you have the money i like it on the car its one of the dumb things that make it unique but with me doing the work it still cost me around 700 when it was all done. i put a new proportioning valve on my car to kirban sells a nice one. Obviously the choice is yours just my opinion. by the way when everything was replaced it took a long time and a lot of bleeding air for me to finally get a brake pedal. and a second rebuilt master cylynder. Alot of headache and waiting on parts but im happy

Back