Need Help on Value of 87 GN

GrnNatlFan

Alright, this is a loaded question but I need some real, honest input. Please, not some of the typical responses of it's worth what someone is willing to pay. My question is if you were in the market and ran across this car, what would you offer the seller and how much would you nego to.

1987 Grand National Hardtop
Original one owner (50+ yrs old)
86,000 miles
Posi
Concert II Sound
Pwr Everything
No Astro or T-Top

Things done in last 2,000 miles (6 months)

1: Engine rebuild (rods, bearings, pistons)
2: Turbo rebuilt
3: Transmission rebuilt (clutches, springs, gov)
4: Complete repaint
5: Seats recovered

I have not seen this car in person but have seen numerous photos from all angles and it is very very clean. The owner is asking $12,000 obo and has said to make him a offer. I don't want to be stupid and super low ball him but I want a good deal. Please advise what you think it's worth and what you would be willing to pay.

thanks

I would venture to say that the miles are the biggest detractor here. He probably hasn't rebuilt the suspension, replaced all brakes, shocks, exhaust, body bushings, tires, etc, in order to make it "new" again like a total restoration would entail. He has spent his money where it matters most (and TO most people), that being engine, paint, and interior. That is worth something, but the car can only be original once, and people put a good premium on that fact.

I would say if the paint is really nice and the engine is a quality rebuild, $10k would be about as high as I (personally) would go for a car I was going to keep and enjoy. But what the hell do I know....:p

Sold a 76,xxx mile gn solid roof with mint interior nice paint about 9 months or so ago, infact dhouser and I spoke about this car. I think I was asking $8900.00 and sold for $8500.00

Why the heck would it have needed an engine rebuild at 8x,xxx miles.

Joe

Thanks to all for the replies. I offered $9,000 and he turned it down. My search continues......