Need Help On Value Of 87 GN

GrnNatlFan

Alright, this is a loaded question but I need some real, honest input. Please, not some of the typical responses of it's worth what someone is willing to pay. My question is if you were in the market and ran across this car, what would you offer the seller and how much would you nego to.

1987 Grand National Hardtop
Original one owner (50+ yrs old)
86,000 miles
Posi
Concert II Sound
Pwr Everything
No Astro or T-Top

Things done in last 2,000 miles (6 months)

1: Engine rebuild (rods, bearings, pistons)
2: Turbo rebuilt
3: Transmission rebuilt (clutches, springs, gov)
4: Complete repaint
5: Seats recovered

I have not seen this car in person but have seen numerous photos from all angles and it is very very clean. The owner is asking $12,000 obo and has said to make him a offer. I don't want to be stupid and super low ball him but I want a good deal. Please advise what you think it's worth and what you would be willing to pay.

thanks

Why did the car need to be completely restored with only 86k miles? Is it a 50 year old Drag racer? ;)

Nick

yeah, what nickb said.......

to me the car is worthless. Many odd us would agree we would rather entertain an untouched car with 150K miles that a rebuilt car with half the miles. I'll pass, thank you. Drew

Originally posted by nickb
Why did the car need to be completely restored with only 86k miles? Is it a 50 year old Drag racer? ;)

Nick

I won't call what was done a complete restore.
Repaint after 17 years ( on a car that had a lousy paint job from the factory to start with) is not all that odd alot of us have had there cars repainted. My 84 was repainted by buick in 86 because the paint was cracking.
New trans after 84,000 miles? not unusally.
New seat covers not that expensive and makes the car really nice

New engine that should be looked into why did he rebuild at 84,000

Depending on how good the paint job is, is it show quality or Macco. I'd offer 11,000 if its a show quality paint

John

I would also check to see who rebuilt the trans. And make sure it has a BRF trans in there. If not take another 2,000 of the price.

Pass due to excessive price, in light of mileage and re-build(s).

No need to try to negotiate price downward, as he'd only feel insulted by an offer of 7500, tops.

8.5K - 9K but I'd pass too.

Way to many questions to ask the seller and his mechanics.

You sure it isn't 186K? Did you do a carfax search?

I did do a CarFax and everything looks fine. I e-mailed him with regards to the reason for the rebuilds and here is how he replied:

"the engine had a tick in it and my father in law (vehicle owner) is the type of guy that won't put up with that so he had Ricks Automotive rebuild everything. They replaced cam sensor, MAP sensor, Boost sensor, things like that. I don't think it probably needed all of it but they had planned on keeping the car forever, but things have gotten tough for them, like work, he is self employed. I am sure you understand how that goes."

Rebuilt ?

Maybe the car ate a turbo or maybe the cam wiped or maybe the rear seal leaked and he spun a bearing? If he is in his 50s chances are the man has money to invest in the car to make it right! Paint sucks on these car so a repaint is not out of the question. Maybe the man took his car to one of those garage mechanics who knows everything about these cars but has never owned one?????? Told him turbo cars need rebuilds because of the additional boost???? Talk with the owner and ask him direct!

I've done my research, just dosnt make much scence. Who knows, im just sayin its alot of work for a car with 86K miles. People who have these cars and have concerved the mileage usually kept them in good shape, otherwise who cares about the mileage. But whatever check it out, if its nice, its nice, who knows.

Nick