Need Help/Opinion on a possible GN purchase.

GN_Jack

Here is the GN I am considering, I'd like to get your opinion on whether it's a decent deal or not.

Here it goes:

1987 Grand National 120K miles on chasis

500 miles on professionally rebuilt motor and trans.
$1,500 in reciepts on trans
$4,500 in reciepts on motor rebuild

- Brand new art carr 9 inch converter
- Crank and Rods out of 20K mile GN
- Brand new JE Pistons & Crane cam & new valves
- Head & Valves were worked
- Steel center caps
- Motor is O-ringed and has copper head gaskets
- Gray Powerder Coated Intake & Valve Covers
- New T-63 Turbo
- New 3 inch Houston Downpipe
- New Hooker Catback exhaust
- New Radiator
- Converted to vacumm brakes
- LS1 Maf with translator

Interior is very clean, with the exception of the steering wheel (faded & cracked), seats are good.

Exterior was painted about three years ago, and wasn't done very well, overspray, runs, and the car was keyed deep along one side. There is surface rust on the door bottoms and one fender well.

I have a friend who owns a body shop, that would do the entire car for $2K, that's show care quality paint and body work.

There are other miscellaneous goodies, such as a scanmaster, two sets of injectors and at least 4 ecm chips, plus a slew of six autometer gauges.

The price is $8K for the car and he is very firm. I figure this car will cost me $10K with the $2K paint job to make the car look like I want it to.

What should this car run in the 1/4 mile properly tuned? He hasn't taken it to the track or beat on the car since the rebuild.

So what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

whos gona spend 4500 for a motor and then 1500 for the transmission and only drive it 500 miles?:confused: something dont sound right about this. know any good tr mechanics in your area that could check the car over?

I know the guy on a personal level (a friend of a friend sort of thing) he's legit. I also know the shops that did the work...

Both the engine and the trans still have a little warranty left on them...

He just really needs the $$$

I'm not questioning the quality of the work or parts. What I would like feedback is on the value of the deal.

If this a decent price for what the car is?

Originally posted by equalizer442
whos gona spend 4500 for a motor and then 1500 for the transmission and only drive it 500 miles?:confused: something dont sound right about this. know any good tr mechanics in your area that could check the car over?

It really depends on YOU. What kind of GN do you want? A collectable stocker or a hard charging steet car. You couldn't build that car for that price...not even close if you were starting from scratch and had to not only buy a car but modify the engine. So if that is what you would build then I'd say skip the hassle and buy it already built...it is usually way cheaper.

Hey i couldnt help but notice that two of you are from the chicagoland area. I know when people ask me where i am from i say chicago but i live a good 45min to an hour away from chicago but its close enough for my comfort;) . I live in the libertyville area, if you dont know where that is just think Six Flags Great America and you have a darn good idea my where abouts. So where abouts are you guys?