Need Help Understanding...

V6GRANDstang

Hey guys since im new to the GN I need some help on some certain things. Ive searched here and at the other website didnt really find what i was looking for. But here some questions.

What does the scan tool do? I know its for tuning purposes but whats the extent of this item. Does it take some skill to work with one of these or is it more trail and error?

Next question is what does an adjustable waste gate do?

Sorry if they seem stupid questions but gotta learn some time
Thanks

A scan tool allows you to read a variety of sensors on the car to know exactly how the car is operating/performing at any given moment. It also helps diagnose problems with the performance of the car as opposed to just staring at the dash when the service engine soon light lights up. A scan tool can tell you exactly what sensor is malfunctioning to cause the SES light to light (well as long as you have the malfunction code list handy in some cases). Go here to compare different scan tools. Scanmaster, Turbo-Link, and Direct Scan are the 3 most popular and each have their +s and -s.

Yes, it'll take some skill to learn and understand what the scan tool is telling you. Peruse this board and other TR sites and you'll get plenty of information....some good and some bad. Only experience will help you out in determining what's good and what's bad.

Yes it's trial and error too. Like mentioned above with the good and bad advice, alot has to do with your particular combination of parts and what your car likes. What works for one guy doesn't always work for another. Only you will know for sure what your car's sweet spot is and how it's responding. The brightest TR minds out there can only do so much in helping you over the internet.

An adjustable wastegate is not the best term for what I think you're referring to. What I think you mean is a stock type wastegate actuator with an adjustable length arm. Adjusting the arm length changes the amount of boost sent to the motor by causing the wastegate to open at different pressure levels. Typically, shortening the arm length increases boost pressure.

If you are new to these cars, read up. Changing little things like the length of the wastegate actuator arm can be disastrous if you don't have everything else in check to go with it.

Don't worry or feel ashamed about asking "stupid" questions. There was a time when all of us on this board knew nothing about TRs. Sometimes, 13 years now after I got my first GN, I swear I still don't know what the heck is going on.:D

Welcome
Mike