You can type here any text you want

Need help with MAF Translator pro problem

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

imjoesnuffy

I just break stuff!
Installed the MAF translator pro using the PNP harness from casper's. I also put in the 3 bar map sensor. Car ran crappy when I first installed it. I was waiting for my chip to get reburned for my injectors.

I have since gotten the chip back. Now I can't even get the car started??

Plugs are soaked in fuel. I am getting spark to all 6 plugs, verified visually. Car will turn over and it sounds like it wants to start but won't catch or take off on its own. I have reset the trans pro and plugged in all the quick start data as well. I disconnected the LC-1 as well trying to get the problems sorted out. Fuel pump is running and holds 45 psi without any problems

I have fouled 3 sets of plugs, 2 O2 sensors and smoked the 22 year old starter trying to get it running right. I replaced the starter but it still won't start.

Things that I see wrong:
MAP reads at 139 with the key on, engine off?? That is with the 3 bar. With the 2 bar in there it still reads at 79?? I was told the 3 bar map install was just plug and play.

I would go back to my original setup but I traded my LS1 MAF and translator plus for the MAFtpro set up. So I am basically stuck at this point.

I have posted on Full throttle tech, but want to get more visibilty to get this sorted out ASAP.

MAP should be like 89-90

Sounds like you may have a bad map sensor. Will it run with the two bar?

You will have to change the setting from 3 bar to 2 bar in the config page and it should work.

MAP should be like 89-90

Sounds like you may have a bad map sensor. Will it run with the two bar?

You will have to change the setting from 3 bar to 2 bar in the config page and it should work.

Shouldn't the MAP (key on engine off) read closer to atmospheric pressure? About 95-97?

Car won't start with the 3 or 2 bar map in it. I did change the settings between the different sensors.

Shouldn't the MAP (key on engine off) read closer to atmospheric pressure? About 95-97?

You right Dave, after plugging in my spare 3 bar it reads 99. Looks like my map is junk. I should have known that.

John, it's got to be either a bad connection or a setting is off. MP running at idle with the new Map is 40-43 at 800 rpm. Post your set up and config settings.

Car won't start with the 3 or 2 bar map in it. I did change the settings between the different sensors.

When you installed the 3 bar MAP, (assuming you have a standard non digital dash), did you cut the two wires (power and ground) that the dash supplies the stock map sensor?

When you installed the 3 bar MAP, (assuming you have a standard non digital dash), did you cut the two wires (power and ground) that the dash supplies the stock map sensor?

Dave,

When I installed the 3 bar map. I took off the old one and installed the 3 bar. I tapped into the wire under the glovebox to get a reading for it for my powerlogger. That is all I did to install it.

Config settings:
Vehicle select:0
Cyl:6
Displacement:3.8
Airfl mode: 0
MAP source: 0
Load srce: 0
Baro mode: 1
F-Out: 8
V Out-1: 2
V Out-2: 0
AFR Source: 0
F In: 0
Aux 1: 0
Flow Err: 0

System setup:
Main scale: 0
V Out1 set: 2.560
V Out2 set: 4.0
Afterstart: 0.0
Lo Load pt: 32.5
Mid Load pt: 100.1
Hi Load pt: 143
F Out max: 0
Tm Base: 0
Tm Correct: 1.23
AF Tr Delay: 0
FE Smooth: 30
VE Table: 1
Spk Base: 16.4

I have played with the mainscale turning it down as far as -7%. Also tried turning down the low loads at 400, 800 and 1200 to -.5 to -1, to no avail.

I appreciate any help you guys can offer. Need to get this car running :frown: Here is the link from full-throttle for a little more detail. Just got it installed, now a couple issues - Full Throttle Speed Tech Support

Do you have a digital or analog dash?

Like Dave said, look at the attatched diagram. Down at the bottom is the two wires that need to be cut but only if you have tha analog dash. If the wires are not cut, that could be jacking with the map reading.

Link

Analog dash here. Wow how did I miss that?? I just assumed with the harness from Casper's it was covered. Guess we all know what happens when you assume.

Any diagrams for the C437? I would hate to cut the wrong wire. What color are the wires? On the black side I am assuming the car side of the pnp adaptor harness...

Not sure what colors they are on the black side, but on the clear side look for pins B (grey) and G (black). Cut the wires on the black side for those pins.

see:

http://www.fullthrottletech.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=204&d=1142261429

I also notice you have VoutMode1 set to a value of 2. Another conflict.
You should have it set for either 0, or if you want WOT spark control set it to 1.

OK,
I cut the two wires. 3 bar reads 143, 2 bar reads 89.9. I did change the settings in the translator also. Car wont start with either in.

Bob (Turbo Bob from the full throttle board) just sent me another chip, still won't start.

Car is backfiring while cranking during startup. I live on Fort Knox where people are used to gunfire.

I have also checked the fusepanel, and all vacuum lines are still intact.

Danm, what the heck is going on? That three bar is definitely jacked up.

I know you unhooked the wideband from the pro but are you able to watch afr's? Do you have the xd-16 gauge?

Put the two bar on and pull 10% of fuel out of the mainscale and see if you can get it started. Hit the gas if needed. Once its started we need to watch the afr's and see what it needs. If you don't have the gauge you could hook it back up to the pro and watch it in the sensor monitor or use logworks. It should not effect anything being hooked up.

Danm, what the heck is going on? That three bar is definitely jacked up.

I know you unhooked the wideband from the pro but are you able to watch afr's? Do you have the xd-16 gauge?

Put the two bar on and pull 10% of fuel out of the mainscale and see if you can get it started. Hit the gas if needed. Once its started we need to watch the afr's and see what it needs. If you don't have the gauge you could hook it back up to the pro and watch it in the sensor monitor or use logworks. It should not effect anything being hooked up.

Rick,

I adjusted the mainscale down to -30 in 2.5% increments. Still no start. I don't have a gauge for the LC-1. It is rich enough that the sparkplugs are still soaked with gas. I kept fouling the plugs and O2 sensors so I pulled it off, the sensor part of the LC-1.

Gonna try the 2 bar with the mainscale as low as I can get it and work my way back up.

Thanks for trying guys, no parts place around here has a 3 bar or I would just go buy one. Any more Ideas, keep them coming.

Put the 2 bar back in. I changed everything over in the transpro as well. Adjusted the mainscale down to -30 in 2.5% increments. Still no start. Sparkplugs still wet with gas. WTF am I doing wrong here? 2 bar reads 91.8 key on engine off.

The car has ran with it installed as I have it last week. I double checked the plug in harness to make sure nothing came loose, nothing??

Dave,

When I installed the 3 bar map. I took off the old one and installed the 3 bar. I tapped into the wire under the glovebox to get a reading for it for my powerlogger. That is all I did to install it.

unhook the PL connection and see if it changes.

On a speed density system the MAP sensor MUST be right

Rick,

Thanks for helping me out over the phone. I got the IAT replaced, the problem has to be in the extension or in the engine harness, I have yet to track it down. I replaced the plugs for the 4th time, turned the mainscale down to -20 and got the car started finally. Still running rich 10.9 AFR at idle, turned the FP down to 40 line off and it finally turned over. While running, tried playing with the mainscale but couldn't really do much with it. 3 bar still reads over 140, so I still have the 2 bar in it for now.

I didn't get a chance to splice into the brown wire for the connection for the powerlogger either. I had to deliver the car to get it painted(again :mad:) Car runs like garbage, idles fine, light throttle is fine, any load on the engine and it bogs, heavy throttle is ok at first but then it feels like it is backfiring, can feel it in the pedal but no popping audibly.

Should get the car back from the paint shop later this week. Will work on it once I get it back. Thanks for the interest.

unhook the PL connection and see if it changes.

On a speed density system the MAP sensor MUST be right

Bob,

I believe the readings didn't change, with the powerlogger hooked or unhooked. I could be mistaken, I don't have the car here with me. I will get it back later this week to verify.

Thanks,
John

If you had a MAF I'd say you have classic bad maf symptoms. :confused:
Double and triple check ALL the setup and configure settings in the Translator.
When you can get the car running, what does the SD MAF air flow read? That's the signal that is being generated in the Translator, and sent to the ECM so it still thinks there's a maf connected.
Why is your spark base set to 16.4? shouldn't it be 15?

If you had a MAF I'd say you have classic bad maf symptoms. :confused:
Double and triple check ALL the setup and configure settings in the Translator.
When you can get the car running, what does the SD MAF air flow read? That's the signal that is being generated in the Translator, and sent to the ECM so it still thinks there's a maf connected.
Why is your spark base set to 16.4? shouldn't it be 15?

Dave,

I called Rick saturday and we went thru my settings. He pointed out that the spark base should be 15, so I changed it. I thought the spark base was based on the fuel in the car. 93 octane=16.4. Another thing that we found was the DC was at +30.5. I thought it was duty cycle for the injectors initially but it is the speed density compensation. I replaced the IAT hoping it would fix the temp problem. It is still reading -39??? Problem must be in the extension or in my wiring harness. I will track that down when I get it back.

Key on, engine off the MAF signal was 1.1, Rick pointed out that it should be higher as well. Didn't note what it was before I dropped the car off. Thanks for all of the help guys!

Back