Need help with my car

RobR

formerly TTA 1387
Went to Enlishtown over the weekend and had nothing but problems getting there and driving home. About 50-60 miles into the trip, the engine would start to miss then backfire and then shut off. If I reset the computer, all was well again for another 10 miles or so. This went on the rest of the way to the hotel.

I had tighten up on my torque strap right before we left. I noticed that one rib of the serpentine belt was cut off. So I thought maybe I had torqued the strap to tight and was cocking the alternator and maybe grounding/shorting something out. I let the tension off of it and then drove up and down the highway without any problems. So I went to the track the next day and all seemed well.

About 60 miles into the trip, same thing happens. Miss, backfire, coast to a stop. Reset and I'm on my way. But its getting worse each time now and doesn't last but a mile. Eventually, I call a tow truck and get towed home.

As of last night off the roll back, it wouldn't even idle but 2-300 rpm and only for a couple of seconds before dying.

I'm getting no light or trouble codes. I've swapped the 3 chips I had with me and it does it with all of them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in figuring this out.

Thanks

One of the pulleys/accesories locking up maybe? A/C? Alternator? Tensioner? Likely alternator since you are losing a rib seemingly electrical power simultaneously. Did your battery light ever come on? Is the battery supplying full power still or has it discharged?

I looked at all the pulleys and they seem to be OK. All the gauges and Direct Scan show everything as alright.

I'm going to put an old belt on and see if it gets chewed up before I put a new one on. I only have 2 original GM belts and don't want to burn one of those up as aftermarket belts aren't the right length. And you GM discontinued the belt last year.

I started the car this morning and it fired right up. It quickly died so I started it again and it ran like it always did. Maybe not quite as smooth but that could be just me looking real hard :) Maybe something getting hot after awhile and then shows itself?

UPDATE!

I had the coil pack assembly tested. 2 and 5 weren't firing under load. Switched the wires and it still was 2 and 5. Looks like I have a bad module.

I'll be ordering a new coil pack and module tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions.