You can type here any text you want

Need help with torque specs for heads

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dan SS2471

Need to re-torque the heads. They're mildy ported stock heads with ARP bolts (not studs).

I read a bunch of threads on all of the different boards but didn't see anything related. I do have the bolt pattern, just can't find what to tighten them to.

Anyone?

Appreciate it.

Dan

Initially I start at 30lbs then 60lbs and final at 85lbs. This means do ALL the bolts at 30lbs. Start over on first bolt and retorque to 60lbs then all over again and final at 80lbs.
I always retorque to a minimum of 85 pounds.
Used to torque them to 68-75, but higher boost (over 16 pounds), requires tighter bolts.

Thanks, Chris. Not sure if I should have, but I didn't mention that the gaskets are Cometics.

As far as boost, it's running 17 - 18 now but more than likely will see more down the road.

Dan

Thanks, Chris. Not sure if I should have, but I didn't mention that the gaskets are Cometics.

As far as boost, it's running 17 - 18 now but more than likely will see more down the road.

Dan

Torque is primarily a function of the hardware used, not the gasket.
Make sure you account for the lube that is used, i.e. motor oil vs the ARP lube for example.
Some of the keys to success will also lay in correctly retorquing the bolts, cleanliness of the complete assembly, and flatness of the heads/block. :smile:
Good luck!

Back