You can type here any text you want

need info, may have found an 82 GN

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

INEEDAGN

Seen Your Member
I don't know anything about the 82's. This one has no engine, tranny, turbo hood or title and is sitting in a cow lot (cows were rubbing against it as I was looking at it). car has no external gn badging but has the square regal emblems on the pillars and says regal on the taillights. T-top car with holes where the rear spoilers used to be. car is the correct color scheme and you can see the paint faded where the buick used to be on the quarters. interior looks to be the grand national interior with the leather centers with the turbo 6 on the front seats and cloth trim. Dash pad is all black which doesn't look to match the rest of the interior but the instrument panel has one square that says grand national with the power 6 logo in it. body is easily fixable and door panels aren't bad but front seats are torn. the owner of the car wasn't there but his buddy was and he knows what the car is if it is legit. I didn't get the vin or the rpo codes (couldnt get the trunk open) and it is freezing so I din't study it all that close. I was just wondering what was unique to the 82 gn because this thing looks cool and i'd like to buy it. What else do I look for?

bob

After reading pretty much the entire before black webpage the car actually sounds pretty legit. My main questions were all answered there, including the power 6 logo on the front seats only and the arrow goes behind the six, not in front. My only other question is: How much is this thing worth?

thanks for the help.

bob

Originally posted by INEEDAGN
My only other question is: How much is this thing worth?

thanks for the help.

bob

Bob, not alot of people think that the pre SFI cars are worth any money. There are even Big TR suppliers that don't even know that Buick made TR's before 84 :rolleyes: I would offer him a couple of hundred for the car and work from there. You can use a lot of the 84/85 pairs..spoiler, seat covers ot fix it up and look close to the 82. Then the power plant is up to you.

Jim

I called the owner today. He wants 300 bucks for it so i'll probably offer 250 and see how it goes. I really need to look at the vin # and the cowl tag because the guy he bought it from said he took the motor out and it was a turbo. He also said he still has the motor and tranny. Once I get the info I will send it to the 82 GN registry. Looks like I've got some deciphering to do and if nothing else it will make for some beautiful yard art to piss mom off again. Thanks for the help.

bob

I just got your e-mail. There is a '82 Turbo GN out there with the VIN removed. Point this thread out to Eric Fisher "turbofish3.8". He may be able to shed some light on it.

On the engine and trans should be the last 8 or so digits of the VIN stamp onto them. Check those number against the registry. The VIN is supposedly stamped on the frame, but you need mirrors to see it. Search the general tech forum for "hidden VIN".

Thank you sir! I will do a search on it. I figured i'd ask you first though since you have lots of experience I.D.ing 82 GN's. Engine and tranny are gone so I can't check them:( . thanks for the info.

bob

Hi Bob, Yes if you can grab all the info you can on this car. I will try to post the pictures I have tonight as it sounds like the one I found in Omaha many years ago. It was in really sad shape when I sold it and it sounds like somebody picked over all the good stuff I sold with the car. Cant remember the exact name but there was a dealer decal on the trunk lid that should ID it as mine.

Eric Fisher

There is a dealers decal on the left side of the trunk lid that said Marquart or Harqart or some thing like it. They were a Buick dealer up in your area Rich, I think Aurora. I cant find all my information. Also take a look at the rust proof plug on the drivers door and I dont know if the VIN is legable but it reads 1G4AK4730C?226031. When I found this car in the salvage yard it had a GM replacement motor with a Edelbrock manifold,headers and the Holley carb like in the picture. I sold it just the way I got it with the original wheels and interior. This was one sorry looking car. The previous owners deserve to be walking the rest of their lifes for trashing it. Eric

Thanks for the replies

Thank you for the photos and time but this does not appear to be your old car. First, there is no evidence anywhere that it ever had a turbo engine in it. No bulged hood, no gauge, no turbo heater box(dont know if the 82's had them). I think the story I was told is B.S. (what a surprise). Second, there were no moldings on the sides (door ding guards) and the Buick billboard letters look to have been scraped off a long time ago. You can clearly see, however, where they used to be. I don't think the trunk showed any evidence of even having the Buick sticker on it, let alone a dealer sticker but it may have been repainted. Also the only place that "Grand National" Appears on the whole car is on the clock delete plate.
Since I can't get a title I decided not to buy the car. I'd never be able to put a tag on it and nobody else would want to buy it from me for the same reason. From what i've seen on the before black website(very nice site by the way I read the entire thing) this car is a true 1 of 215 1982 Grand National that used to have a 4.1 n/a motor in it. Every single piece that is supposed to be there is either there or you can see where it used to be. The seats even have the 6 that curls behind itself, not in front. It really is a shame because the body is almost unbelievably solid yet and with some spit shining and front seat covers the interior would clean up pretty nice too. I have some pictures and some additional info about it that I plan to forward to b4black for the registry.

Thank you guys for helping me discover that this is the real thing, even though I didn't buy it.

bob

ITS - International Title Service

Click here to go to their site

I've only heard stories, and remember ads from AutoWeek offering the same service. Essentially, you give them a bill of sale for the car, transferring it to the possession of a company established in a southern state (I've heard Georgia and Alabama or Mississippi). These states don't require a title transfer to get a new title from that state for cars over a certain age - merely a bill of sale. Then for the fee, they transfer the newly-issued title (in the name of the company) to you. Your local DMV MUST (due to the Full Faith and Credit provisions of the US Constitution) issue to you a new title in your name for your state.

Although it seems to legitimize the theft of cars, let's think about this rationally. Every DMV is going to run a VIN for theft before issuing a title (and probably the one in Georgia too, since they have to cover their @$$). And furthermore, unless you are transferring through some shill company of your own, if it ever gets towed or checked by the cops, they know exactly who to track down. Subsequent buyers might avoid criminal liability, but would get their car taken away. And they'd SURELY come back to collect on the jerk who sold them a stolen car.

I think its a great service, as a concept. I don't vouch for the company or its legality or service. Just an idea to get one of these rare birds back on the road. You have to know that a lot of these old "barn cars" that you read about have to have some kind of substitute title because there's no way a 1937 Buick title is still in somebody's lock box. That's the whole reason the car sat so long in the first place!

If you can find the VIN on a car (any hidden one) and go down to your local DMV with it, you should be able to file for abandoned vehicle title (if it doesn't show up as stolen) which usually takes 6 months for them to verify that the vehicle actually is abandoned. As for the VIN being removed on the dash, you can get a duplicate installed by the DMV as long as it can be proven it is the correct number, they will also issue a new number for for some vehicles that don't have any VIN already on them or a bunch of different VIN's.

Just understand that if you buy the car with a bill of sale and then try to get the title and a VIN number on it, it is possible to lose your money if someone claims the car in the process and you will have to try to get it back from the seller (good luck).

Couldn't hurt to call the DMV and ask them what is required in your state.

Thank you guys for the ideas it's nice to know as many ways as possible to get a title but all require the original vin. The only one that might be left on the car is the hidden one on the frame and I cant get to it unless I buy it and put it on a lift. I dont need another project anyway and the only motor that I could bring myself to put in it is a Buick motor of some sort (none of that small block shivvy crap). It's a rare piece of TR history but it'd just be yard art and that's the last thing I need right now. thanks for the replies though.

bob

About three or four months ago there were TWO '82 GN's on Ebay...side by side, next to a barn. One was pretty complete, the other rusty and picked over. Perhaps this is the second one? Do a search on 82 and Ebay and perhaps it will come up.

82 gn

yard art is always good when its a buick gn
i have a sim problem with title as i got a 84 t from a guy at work(not running and had a blown 455)plates on it are from 91.was gonna try to get a title online from a service just havent tried yet.
good luck and i hope you reconcider as i think these cars are scarce as it is along with many buying them just to part them out on ebay. thanks andy:D :rolleyes:

1982 GN

As the owner of a 1982GN let me tell you guys that the vin can not be traced to a GN, it will come back to a Regal. Buick did not keep records of the GN's in 82 and also some of the parts for other years are different. The rear spolier is 1/4 inch shorter. I just had mine redone last year and it was a lot of fun. You can still get the decals and black tape. If anyone needs more information just give me a call or email.

434-572-8010
Gary Crutchfield

Back