You can type here any text you want

Need radiator fan help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dhos1

Self-tuning wanna-be
Looking at my radiator fan there is a beige yellow bar looking piece that connects to it. It is cracked and secured by a clamp. The fan is stock, but what is this piece? It is at the bottom left hand side next to the connectors closest to the fan itself.

The white/tan bar object is the resistor that allows the fan to either run at low speed or bypass it and you have high speed fan. Hope that answers your question. A lot of our vehicles had this resistor bypassed and run high speed any time the ecm commands the fan on. I converted my twenty nine year old fan for a dual fans by kirban setup that covers almost all of the radiator and cools the vehicle down about twice as fast. I measured the amount of current draw when the stock fan turned on--it was close to 13-14 amps, and the fan sounded like a bearing or bushing was dragging I would not trust it. Just my thoughts. Dp

You can easily bypass the resistor and i recomend that you do.... by making a short jump wire say 2 inches long and ADDING it to the existing wiring on the resistor........ connect one end of the jumper to one end of the resistor and repeat at the other end........ You are simply adding a jump across it. If you need to remove the resistor permanently you can still add the jump wire the same way add it to the existing wires without the resistor in place shrink sleeve or tape up the wires and ziptye out of harms way. ........... Use 14 or 12 gauge wire and quality crimp connectors. As daniel said above the purpose was to have a low speed and a hi speed fan.......... The old grandpa types that were supposed to buy turbo buicks would not like all of that noise from a hi speed fan........... HAHa like that was gonna happen.....I wonder what the original project engineers think about how the cars evolved over the years......... If your stock cooling fan is ingood working condition it should provide all of the cooling you will need esp. on hi speed. .....but many are getting old and noisy like daniels and need attention. HTH

You can easily bypass the resistor and i recomend that you do.... by making a short jump wire say 2 inches long and ADDING it to the existing wiring on the resistor........ connect one end of the jumper to one end of the resistor and repeat at the other end........ You are simply adding a jump across it. If you need to remove the resistor permanently you can still add the jump wire the same way add it to the existing wires without the resistor in place shrink sleeve or tape up the wires and ziptye out of harms way. ........... Use 14 or 12 gauge wire and quality crimp connectors. As daniel said above the purpose was to have a low speed and a hi speed fan.......... The old grandpa types that were supposed to buy turbo buicks would not like all of that noise from a hi speed fan........... HAHa like that was gonna happen.....I wonder what the original project engineers think about how the cars evolved over the years......... If your stock cooling fan is ingood working condition it should provide all of the cooling you will need esp. on hi speed. .....but many are getting old and noisy like daniels and need attention. HTH
Thanks...I will do so.

Back