You can type here any text you want

need some advice before I sell...or not

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rob lange

Let me start by talking a little about the car. This is my first TR 1987 GN, bought it with 65k on the clock , it is in good condition with no rust , but has a salvage title due to an accident way back when that gave the car a wrinkle on the roof above the two rear side windows, (spoke with a good body man and its very repairable), also a new front clip ,hood ,ect..I paid $10.500. maybe too much?oh well . everything worked and the interior is really nice.First thing was 93 octane tt chip and 42# injectors , front seal waterpump, oil pump, roller timing chain, and timing cover , rear main , and plug wires , 160 thermostat , and a 3 row dual fan setup. car ran real cool.working A/C . good glass , just a real nice Daily driver , so why bring it to test and tune ? For fun, well last night went great It did 13.2 @ 107mph on the way home , a bottom end knock.
So do I sell as is? if there is any interest. fix and make a drag car ,it is perfect for that because of the salvage title, or part out? I really want a show and go with all the goodies already done to it but don't know what I can get for my car as is.

gnkz.JPG
P1080552.JPGP1080552.JPGP1080552.JPGP1080552.JPGgnkz.JPGP1080552.JPG

So fix it , was my one responce. Any good Buick engine rebuild shops in Kansas? or interest in buying this car?

I say fit it up. This way YOU know what have been done to the car and all the parts that are in it. If you buy some one else car it can be a crapshoot. Does it really have the parts they tell you are in it? My .02 is building it is half the fun.

Shaun

Keep it and get it fixed, I agree with Reaper 100%.

Reaper, by the way I LOVE that picture. :cool:

Let's see, salvage title, needs body work on roof and bad engine. You'll get very little for it if you sell it. I have a friend that had a salvage titled Limited. It took a year to get rid of it and it ran fine. I'ld fix it and drive it.

As stated in all the above posts there so many reasons to just fix it and drive it and I agree with everyone of them. But there is something to be said for cutting your loses and getting what you really want. Selling a car with a salvaged title will always bring less money now or in the future. Life is short, even if you're only 17. If you can afford to eat the loss as a lesson learned and get the "show and go with all the goodies" that you really want, why not? Prices for these cars are at historic low's. Owners of nice examples that are built right are still having a tough time moving their cars. IMO, I don't think there is a right or wrong move here. Just depends on what YOU want to do :)

This car will never be seen as a collector since it's a salvage title, That being said, no matter how much you spend on a car you'll never get out what you put in it. They're a loosing proposition, period. If you want a fast car, make it one and have fun out of it. If you want a collector then sell it and buy a collector and never modify it.;)

This car will never be seen as a collector since it's a salvage title, That being said, no matter how much you spend on a car you'll never get out what you put in it. They're a loosing proposition, period. If you want a fast car, make it one and have fun out of it. If you want a collector then sell it and buy a collector and never modify it.;)
I agree I wont get any of the invested money back , going further would make it worse concidering I really do want a nicer car. As far as a unmodified show car ,no . But a good paint ,fast street car I can probably buy outright for less than I could spend to fix this one. So all that aside what is would a guy pay for this car as is? still a lot of good and semi new parts on it.

You're basically going to take a bath on the car even if it runs and drives Rob. Sorry to say it but that's the case. You might part it out and make more but you'll never get your full purchase price out of it. If you enjoy the car then go ahead and fix it and maybe mod it some. Drive it for a while and learn how to work on one. When you feel like your tired of it then sell it.;)

You're basically going to take a bath on the car even if it runs and drives Rob. Sorry to say it but that's the case. You might part it out and make more but you'll never get your full purchase price out of it. If you enjoy the car then go ahead and fix it and maybe mod it some. Drive it for a while and learn how to work on one. When you feel like your tired of it then sell it.;)

I suppose I will, get rheemed .I guess if i do part it out I might get more. Am I wrong or wouldnt this make a good drag car? Very rust free and solid.

Add up a built motor, trans, suspension, rims, tires, engine management, gauges and roll cage. Doesn't leave much for a shell, like about 1000 or less.

I suppose I will, get rheemed .I guess if i do part it out I might get more. Am I wrong or wouldnt this make a good drag car? Very rust free and solid.

As far as a drag specific car, how fast do you want to go? If you stay above 11.5 you don't need a cage but you do need safety equipment and a slightly modified engine will live longer. If you want to go faster then you'll need a cage and some serious $ for the drive line. A 10 second engine will cost you as much as you paid for the car and this doesn't include the tranny.:eek:

Back