Need some help choosing a FI-ecu.

SSMOORE

Im going to be purchasing a ecu this week and have a few questions. My car is not a buick but I cant find another board on the net with this many members and dealers with knowledge on fuel injection, so I hope you guys dont mind. First off its a 69 camaro that im building in the pro-touring style but I want to go to the track on occasion. I built a BB chevy with 10to1 compression, protopline heads, crane hyd roller cam with 240@.050 duration and 630 lift and a 112 lsa. The parts I have for the fi system already. are a Victor jr-efi single plane intake, msd 2345 cam sync dist and am going to get a accufab 4150 tb 1200 cfm. Im hoping to make between 575 to 625 hp.

I was originally going to get a bs3 now it seems it doesnt have ac compressor control and my car will have vintage air. If I used the bs3 is there another way to cycle the compressor on and off that wont cost a fortune? The fast xfi has this built in and would make it a no brainer. But im worried that xfi just came out and hasnt had all the bugs worked out. Also which one would be better for a car more for the street and a little dragstrip use vs a true race car. Im also leaning towards a 50# injector. Do you think this would be to big for my application?

steve

I think the BS3 is a bare bones type set-up would be my last choice. I know very little about the XFI Cal would be the guy to talk to about an XFI. I love My gen 7 it has AC controls on a bunch of other stuff. Everyone Gen7 I have worked with has worked flawless software etc.. There are some good deals out there for the old FAST systems if you want to save a buck.

Why do you need A/C control in your '69 Camaro? I would just leave that as a standalone circuit.

I haven't heard any complaints about bugs in the XFI.

-Bob Cunningham

having the ac cut off at wot seemed like a good thing to do. Also doesnt the engine at idle like to stall when the when the ac compressor kicks on? The one feature it seems that is very nice on the bs3 is the learn mode. I cant find anything in the xfi info that states it has that function, besides where it says it has a tuning wizard but I dont think is the same as learn mode. I think bs3 might have the ac control in the future as I was looking thru the software and in the input output staus area theres a place that shows nos switch and ac switch. Can anyone confirm that this will be a added feature in the future?

steve

Steve,

Based on what your reqirements are, I would recommend the FAST_XFI.
Plenty of these units are in use in the Buick and other communities without any issues.

After purchase "Product Support" is better than what I have seen & heard from other sources or users. This is one area to me, that is very important!

Your choice of injectors is fine. I would possibly consider 55# Low Impedance Peak & Holds as a better choice for response, & give you ample fuel for future mods.

As posted Cal or I can provide any other information you may require relating to operations, options, pricing etc.

Joe

All the systems have there pros and cons. The dfi system seems to be the cheapest, as it lets you interface with any wideband controller. Example lc-1 wideband controller ($199) complete with sensor. You just can't go wrong with that. I am not sure if the xfi and bs3 lets you choose your wideband setup options. As for the a/c setup the gen 7 allows you to give you pre idle compensation when the a/c compressor goes on, and cooling fan iac compensation also.

However this is were the dfi has a weak point, There is no seperate ve map for different loads, example when the compressor kicks on it will add fuel only if the car is in closed loop. Aslo switching frome park to drive there is no fuel compensation when in open loop. Also i have noticed there is no fuel cut on deceleration like the stock ecm, which in turn i find wastes alot of fuel. The ve map uses decimals instead of whole numbers. The datalogging is limited to 6 items also. Overall it still is a very good system, as it has many features for the buck. The on screen numbers are large and easy to read. Aslo the box will work on any car in the future your box will work on anything from a ford to a honda.

All very good points thx for the replys. I have spoke with cal but he was in vegas for a seminar or something and said it would be best to talk when he gets back to his shop. I have dowloaded a copy of accels software and im looking it over now. I would also like to see a demo version of the fast xfi software but I cant find it on there site. I do have the software for the old fast. Does any one know of a link to the xfi demo software?

steve

Steve
You called my shop last week for some info on these systems, I talked to the people at BS3 and they can put the A/C WOT cutout & A/C idle kick in any unit for us. The XFI software looks the same as the old stuff with the added features. If you need to see more call & I can help you out. We fully support both systems and have worked with BS3 & F.A.S.T. on the development of their systems. We also have 20 years of experince with programable electronic fuel managment systems.