You can type here any text you want

Need some shifter help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BARRACUDA1968

I bought a new shifter handle from Kirbans. Just the stock version.

My old shifter handle would just lift off and I could pull it out of park with out pushing the button. I can not get it in to 2nd or low.

I went to install the new shifter handle and still have the same results.

There looks like a white plastic piece coming up the shifter rod that will screw in and out. Mine had a phillips screw in it and the top of it was broken. I can not hardly push the lever down with my thumb with the shifter handle off.

What's the best route to take here?

The shifter handle locks into position w/ a "U" clip on the side;
you can see the 2 small holes on the lower part of the handle
if you don't have the "U" clip , holler & I'll send you one,
or you can get 'em at the salvage yard all day long
the white plastic tip screws onto the "J" bar to adjust proper alignment of the push button to select the gears
it adjusts up or down (the screw was put on by previous owner for unk reason)
there is also a return spring that is on the bottom of the "J"bar.
If the handle is off you can remove he shifter top plate & gear selector dust cover
and see the mechanism to get a better picture of how it all works
It sounds a lot more complicated than it really is; and is a pretty straight forward adjustment

Do_O

Thanks for the information. I think I'm going to need a new plastic tip. I have the "U" clip that came with the new shifter handle.

I just need to take this thing apart and see what makes it tick. Something in the mechanism is binding when I try and push the inner rod down.

I can shift my car out of park to reverse then neutral and drive just by pulling on the shifter. I can not get it in to 2nd or low.

The handle will move up & down until the clip seats fully into the slot on the stem; it should push-in flush;you may have to tweak the plastic insert to get everything flanged up.
Its good to see the guts & how everything works together;
the plastic tip is sold through a vendor, as is the "J" rod
Could be the shifter cable, as well
I f you need to replace it, buy OEM only!
The aftermarket ones are REAL cheap $$
but I have had ALL of them fail (I have an old post somewhere on it)
the OEM run about $99.00 but are well worth it!

Do_O

Can you shift gears without the Handle in place by just pushing the white lever down???? If it goes to 2nd like that you might not have the shifter handle lined up correctly on the rod. If you can't get it done by just pushing the shift rod down then check the cable it maybe the shift linkage too.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Yeah I can just pull the shift lever back from park to 3rd. I can't hardly push down on the rod, it feels like it's binding on something. I googled shifters for these cars and came up with nothing but shift knobs. Someone has to make or sell refurbished shifters?

I will take the shifter plate off and try and get a better look, but I'm pretty sure something is broke or out of adjustment.

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1377705365.319177.jpg

If you can see at the bottom of the shifter there is the J rod it's on a spring that keeps it pushed up. Make sure all that is working too.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

That makes sense now. I'll bet the spring is bound or broke. I'll check it out.

Thanks for the pic! Much appreciated

Back