need suggestion on fuel injectors

87 gnash

have a 87 gn that is mainly stock... except for big mouth air intake, with terry downpipe and atr dual exhuast...

i have been told i should change fuel injectors and possibly upgrade wires.....

i am learning as i go and am at the base level of knowledge... and also would like to keep the alterations to a minimum... i drive only for fun during summer only

what should i do next (if anything at all)

many thanks for any support !

Buy a scanmaster, see if it's knockin. If not leave it alone. Is your mind set on buyin new injectors? Does it run good?

not really i guess.. it runs well, but sometimes hesitates under boost conditions... i have been told by so many that i will have a detination problem with the stock engine and the air adjustments i have made..

but as i said, i really only drive for fun and the love of these cars.. this is my second one.... and i am still learning, thanks to you guys!

I would do a fuel pump first! It's not as hard as you would think to change. Is it the stock pump, do you know? The hesitation under boost is a problem you need to fix, quick! Could be other things than fuel too.

First thing I would do is:

Buy a gallon of xylene from the local hardware. Will help clean your stock injectors and add octane until your can get some other things done.

Then......

1)Spring Cleaning - http://www.gnttype.org/maint/basics.html
2)Wires, check coil pack. My last 2 GN's both had bad coil packs.
3)scan master
4)Fuel Pump W/hotwire
5)adjustable waste gate
6)Boost up + Octane or alchy
7)Traction (tires, control arms etc..)

If the car is hesitating under boost, I would highly recommend to take it easy on the car until the first 3 above are done.

Hesitation = problem=detonation=headgaskets=$$$$$$$

After the above is done, and a mid to high 12 sec car is not fast enough, then I would look at a set of 50+ lber's. They will work with the stock computer and most chip burners can get the bigger injectors to drive as good on the street as stock. They also have enough room to work well with bigger turbos. Typically, if you get to the 12's with a stocker, a bigger turbo is usually on the christmas list shortly thereafter.

Just my 2 cents..........

Ray

thanks jay... but you are talking way above my head

russ understands where i am ... in terms of knowledge / desire

:D