You can type here any text you want

Need to convert steering column

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

N2BUICK

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Needing to convert steering column from column shift to floor shift. Has anyone ever done this?
I know you would need the proper "bowl", what else.
Thanks

Needing to convert steering column from column shift to floor shift. Has anyone ever done this?
I know you would need the proper "bowl", what else.
Thanks
The best way to do it is to get everything you need from a console shift car. Everything.

I did not. I bought an aftermarket shifter and disconnected and removed the trans linkage to the column to stop it from rotating. When you do this your reverse lights, P/N safety switch, and your ignition key lock-in feature are lost. Maybe a few other things I'm too tired to think of right now. But I remember cutting and splicing-in extra length of wire from the harness connection plug under the column to the supplied switches that came with my new shifter.

^that also gets rid of your backup plan to get home when you break a shift cable.

Years ago I was going to design a kit that used a lightweight cable to move that and get rid of all that steel. I changed my mind when I realized it might let Murphy brake my shifter cable for me.

Easy way is replace the column wiih a floor shift column, and I may have a spare one.

Sounds like replacing the column is the route to go. I do have a column but its blue and need to paint gray. Just looking for way not to use it.
Thanks

Painting the one you have is the best way to go about it.
Yes. Paint it.

Above, when I said get everything from a floor shift car, I wasn't implying you have to change the column. I didn't want my column to rotate because I'm using my old shift handle hole to mount a warning light. But in order for it to be a simple install, especially when it comes to the wiring, the column needs to rotate when you shift the console shifter just like it does in a stock console car. Of course, your still going to have a hole where your column shift handle was. But you could ignore it or do something with it like I did.

Or go aftermarket. And do the electrical work.

cool pic 7 (2).jpg

he is the bob ross of the turbo community , seriously
happy tress !!!

Back