Need to replace rear main seal on my 87 GN

GNX548

Anyone know where to get the old style "rope" rear main seal??? I heard that the rope style works the best ?

No, use the neopreme seal from felpro. I used the side seals in conjuction with an anaerobic sealant (a little on the face of the mating surface of the main cap and two small dots spaced about 1/4 of an inch on each side of the block from the side seals). Some will not to use the side seals, but it's you preferance. I use the side seal with and above sealant, b/c that sealant cures in the absense of air, and fills the irregularities in the main cap to block surface. That sealant is just kinda expensive.

Rope = nope.

I'm sure GM could re-inflict the OEM rope seal on you, if you like.

Read the Merkel article in GMHTP.

BTW, rear main seals are like religion. Everybody has their own idea of what does and doesn't work, and you'd better not argue with them...

:)

strikeeagle:
BTW, rear main seals are like religion. Everybody has their own idea of what does and doesn't work, and you'd better not argue with them...

there's tears in my eyes from laughing, I guess I should have followed my post with IMHO:) :) :)
thanks for the morning laugh

As I recall, if you buy a Felpro oil pan gasket, it comes with a rope rear seal included.