You can type here any text you want

Need Valve spring assistance

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Chatmanboy

I purchased the valve springs off kirban site a while back, and are suppose to be 100lbs.

The problem i am having is i changed them because it said it correct size so i just slapped them on. Yet, when i started the car i had a ticking noise under the intake i didnt have before. So i took them back off and put the old ones on. I compared the two and the kirbans one are longer than the ones that were on!!!

So now im back at it because im lacking performance when i reach higher rpms and i know it has to be the valve springs. Do to the fact, they are so easy to compress when i changed them. So my question is what do i do about the kirban ones, to get it to the correct height so i can put them on? Thanks in advance

did you remove the spring cup from the factory springs? whats the installed height of the new springs? did you check retainer to guide clearance?

cant just slap this stuff on without checking everything first

im hoping the ticking you had wasnt coil bind...............

With a spring replacement on a stock head it's unlikely anything with close to stock spring diameter that coil bind is even possible. The retainer to guide clearance on the exhaust would interfere before coil bind. The tick was likely something else. A tick usually means lash

did you remove the spring cup from the factory springs? whats the installed height of the new springs? did you check retainer to guide clearance?

cant just slap this stuff on without checking everything first

im hoping the ticking you had wasnt coil bind...............

These werent factory springs i dont believe the engine was rebuilt awhile back in 09. they dont look like the factory ones, and yea mistake on my part not a mechanic but thought they were just swap and thats it. The ticking went right away when i took it off and put the other ones back on (dont know what valve springs are in now) so pretty sure it was nothing serious.

But the only thing i did was take the valve keepers and retainer off and put the valve springs on.

Is there a link or post about valve springs with so pics showing how it suppose to be done? Like to work on this car on my own and learn new things

Chatmanboy said:
These werent factory springs i dont believe the engine was rebuilt awhile back in 09. they dont look like the factory ones, and yea mistake on my part not a mechanic but thought they were just swap and thats it. The ticking went right away went i took it off and put the one the other one back on (dont know what valve springs are in now) so pretty sure it was nothing serious.

But the only thing i did was take the valve keepers and retainer off and put the valve springs on.

Is there a link or post about valve springs with so pics showing how it suppose to be done? Like to work on this car on my own and learn new things

You need to verify the pressures with a spring tester and measure the installed heights with an installed height checker. Then you install the springs on the head and shim them accordingly
to get the predetermined pressure you want based off the spring tester data. Installed heights will likely be 1.725"-1.75". You could use the manufacturer spec for pressure at height but springs vary and measuring each one will allow you to get them very close erasing any doubt.

kirban says its 100lbs. now when u say check installed height with a height checker, can i rent one of those from AZ that you know of? And shims can you go into a lil more details, are they like spacers or something?

kirban says its 100lbs. now when u say check installed height with a height checker, can i rent one of those from AZ that you know of? And shims can you go into a lil more details, are they like spacers or something?

Im not sure if you can get one at AZ but you can get a cheap one on ebay

well good thing you didnt break anything, these engines are the lords of double and triple checking everything. check check check and then check again.

Back