New Alky-holic!

airwolf

I just installed a DIY alky kit, using Steve Monroe's setup as a guide. For you Steve and all others reading this post, I just want to say thanks!! This stuff changed everything. I'm not even done tuning yet and I'm able to run 20lbs of boost on 91 octane pump gas with .54 degrees of knock. Showed absolutely no knock at 18 lbs. Before I was getting 5-9 degrees! Nothing else has been done other than adding the alky kit! I'm freakin' amazed!! And guys, this was in 95+ degree ambient temps!! I used the stock pressure switch that works the dash boost lights to regulate the turn on for the alky pump so I have to play with that to get the setting right. I think it's spraying too early. The car sometimes bogs a little bit if I accelerate slowly. Other than that I'm really pleased with it. Can anybody tell me how to use a Mighty-vac to set the pressure switch?? I tried using the pressure port but it doesn't build any pressure that I can tell. Thanks again!

Hey man......Ain't alky great? Now that your hooked up you can add a activation warning light, if you haven't already, and definitely a manual activation button. You can use this to start spraying before going to WOT at speed. This will help eliminate transitional knock.

Wire a bulb across the pump power leads and that way when the pump kicks on, the bulb illuminates. Most use the power injection slot built into the factory instrument cluster for this.

Julio

Oops! Alky update

Everything was going too good. The switch I was using to activate the pump crapped out today. The pump was running without boost. I pulled the hose from the up pipe to check it cause the car started bogging really bad. Whenever I revved the engine the pump sprayed! Bad:eek: So I hooked up the NOS switch that I bought and installed it. No more spray when I rev it;). But the car is still bogging at about 1500 rpm. Any idea why? Could the intercooler have water/alky in it and cause this? I did go through a full reservoir before the bogging started. What do you guys think? Thanks for help. A minor setback but I still think alky is great!

If your intercooler is full of liquid..stop do not pass go..

Pull your up pipe off and vacuum drain it out.

Suggest you only use the highest quality components when dealing with the pump and its control.

You can only scimp so much..a budget kit works great..but never scimp on anything that can jeopardize your motor.

Julio

Intercooler/alky

Thanks Razor, I'm not driving the car today anyway. I'm planning on starting my powerstroke install tomorrow so this one is coming off anyway. I'll post what I find when I pull it off.