You can type here any text you want

New best time

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

b4black

NOTE: Split from the DIY Alcohol thread

Got to try out the alcohol injection at the track this weekend at the Midwest Buick Challenge. Car ran great (The external fuel filter took care of the WOT stumble.)

First run was as I brought it. 50% ethanol, 93 octane pump gas, 11 psi boost, M5 nozzle, pump on at 8 psi, some knocking (mostly at shifts)

15.91 @ ~82 mph (almost my best time with this car.) :)

Bigger nozzles/more alcohol = less knock = better times. By the end I was at 16 psi, M15 and M5 dual nozzles, pump on at 3 psi, and only one knock LED the entire run.

15.000 @ 90.0 mph :D

~$25 bought 0.9 sec and 8 mph. I'll write up the details on my set up with pictures soon.

Next stop 14's :cool:

Good Job Rich. , A couple more pounds of boost and you will be in the 14's. How much timing are you running?

I don't know the total timing, but I have the BTM retarding 0.5° per pound of boost. (I have a dial back timing light, so I should go check the total timing.)

I was leaving with about 0 pounds of boost. That run may have been a little more because was watching the lights more the boost guage. Traction was getting better all day. I had 25 psi in the air bag and 255/60R15 radials (still the open rear). 60' was a pretty respectable 2.11. :)

I updated the '83's page in my signature with the 15.0 run next to last year's best for comparison.

15.0@90 on stock block, heads, intake, exhaust, turbo, carb, ECM/chip, and an open rear on street radials.
Not bad for a Carb/Turbo slug. ;)

Fun watching progress

It was big fun watching Rich progress with the tuning of his car. Of course the smile all day said it all.

I did not know about the fuel filter adding to the performance woes. How did you figure that one out Rich.

Thanks Rich for adding your enthusiasm to the Midwest Buick Challenge

I bet if you left at 2 # of boost and had traction you would clip another .1 to .2 seconds off your ET. Speaking from experience.

Loyd, a guy I work with got me thinking (again) that my problem was not enough fuel. I did some more checking and found very different opinions on fuel pressure. But then one website mentioned that the Quadrjet doesn't have enough internal capacity for the ¼ mile. It said focus on flow rate, not pressure (which makes sense). Getting rid of the fuel filter in the Q-jet inlet did the trick.

I made 18 runs at the MBC. I have the calender marked for Byron and Cordova. The wife says she's coming to Byron to race the '82 GN. We'll see. :rolleyes: ;) Big thanks to you, Shari and everyone else that helps set these up!

Fred, I'm sure you right on the traction. I bought some cheapo 8" rims to mount some 275/50 tires on. If I could find some time to install the limited slip I have, I'd be set.

Do not do a big burn out on street tires; they usually get greasy instead of sticky
IMO

I haven't been doing any burnout. I just drive around the water box. Sometimes I'll spin them once to clean them off, but that's it.

Sounds like you are having alot of fun, but you should have had at least one timeslip in the 14's.

If it helps, I have gotten 1.9 60ft times on 245-50-16 BFG Radial T/A's by doing a very small burnout/just cleaning the tires (about 2 seconds max) and running 20 psi in the tires. Allows me to leave with about 3-4psi of boost. Any more or less of a burnout would allow it to spin as with 5psi of boost on the line.

Keep trying and you will get it. Just remember that your 60' doesn't affect your 1/4 mph. Therefore you can try different things with your launch and also tune for mph in the same run without one screwing up the other. Important to know if you have a limited number of passes and alot of tuning to do.

Good luck and congrats on your progress

Stock rods and hanger. I did bend the tab a little to let the secondaries open furhter though.

I know that you have a few richer hangers and rods, would like to see the diff. I like your R/T ass well, need to work on mine. :rolleyes:

Jim

Back