New Component Speakers

Rayk

Let the Boost begin!
I'm getting ready to install a pair of Infinity Kappa 5.25" components in the Concert II door location. Have any of you installed components like this and if so, did you put your tweeters in the dash, on the A-Pillars, or on the door panels above the Concert Sound? I'm curious about things like imaging and sound quality from the tweeters. By the way, I prefer not to install the components in the kick panels as some have done. Thanks for any help.

Its good to have the mid and tweet a close together as you can......generally. Roll a piece of tape and set the tweeter on the door panel right above the concert II, listen to how it sounds, angle to tweeter differently, see how it sounds. If you just can't get it to sound right, try up higher on the door panel, a-pillars, or wherever it sounds best to you. Most likely it will be right above the concert II.

I have.......

Originally posted by mcss383
Its good to have the mid and tweet a close together as you can......generally.

I agree totally! I just finished a set of custom door pods that house the Infinity Kappas 6.5 components for a customer on this board. I have a pic of the finished product if you or anyone else is interested.

Another option is to install the 5.25 in the original door location (if they arent too deep) and to install the tweets just above it in the angled plastic portion of the door, that will work also if you do not want to build custom door pods. I would recomend pulling the carpet off of the 5.25 covers and installing black grill cloth in its place because the carpet does restrict some of the sound.

"I would recomend pulling the carpet off of the 5.25 covers and installing black grill cloth in its place because the carpet does restrict some of the sound."

Where would you suggest I get this grill cloth. Also, might it be available in gray so as to match the door panel better? Thanks for the idea.

Originally posted by Rayk

Where would you suggest I get this grill cloth. Also, might it be available in gray so as to match the door panel better? Thanks for the idea.

You can pick it up at most any car stereo shop and yes they have it in grey. If they dont have it in stock, they can order it for you :) .

Or you can dye it grey if you can't find it. I have found Plasti-Kote's dye products at various auto stores. Works very well too.

Tweeter location

I personally think the farther u get the tweeter away from the speaker the better the contrast in the sound. I put my tweeter on the very highest part of the a pillar and that made for one amazing sound quality especially if you really like the treble hits like i do.