You can type here any text you want

New Door Speakers Don't Sound As Good....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rick

as I expected them to. They are Alpine 5.25 coax. They mounted perfectly in the stock speaker basket. Should I have removed the stock plastic barrier that goes around the back of the speaker?? I assume it is in there to keep moisture off the speaker.

A common misconception is that an aftermarket speaker will sound better. Everybodys version of "sound better" is different.

If I had to guess, you are saying the new speaker doesn't have as much or as good of bass or craps out when you try to put some bass to it. This doesn't make it a bad speaker, just a speaker being used for an improper application.

After market speakers are designed to respond "better" in a given frequency range. In your case (5 1/4) it is designed for midrange response. Focus it on this area and it'll sound fine. Try to get it to play what it is not designed to play and it will sound like crap. Most 5 1/4s will never give good bass response.

Put a highpass (capacitor/bass blocker) x-over on it to keep the bass out. You and the speaker will both be happier.

What kind of headunit are you running? Please explain a bit more... HOW do they not sound as good?

Doug C.

Alpine 7893 hooked to an Alpine amp. I hooked the door speakers up first. Set the switch on the amp to filter out the lows on CH 1 and CH 2 (door and dash hooked parallel). I barely get any kind of volume out of them before they distort. I can set the output of the head unit built in crossover that goes to the door and dash speakers. I can set the HP filter to 80 - 120 - 160. Which should I choose?

I don't have a sub yet, just my RF 6x9's in the back deck.

Should the plastic bag stay in there over the speaker basket??

Oops. The built in crossover is for all the speakers. I'm going to go ahead and use a pair of crossovers I have for the front door and dash speakers. The dash are Pioneer 3.5" co-ax. The doors are Alpine 5.5" Co-ax. the crossover has taps for:
800 Hz (Woofer)
1600 Hz (Woofer)
800-5000 Hz (Mid)
1600-7000 Hz (Mid)
5000 Hz (Tweeter)
7000 Hz (Tweeter)
Which should I use for my dash and door speakers??

Rick,

You might want to double check and make sure your speakers are in phase. That can give you a very dull sound if they are out of phase. A passive crossover like the other guys suggested is a very good idea. The way I run my systems is 3 way. I run my sub at 70 and below. My Morels in the doors run 70 and beyond. Morel mid is so damn tight. It just slams you hard. I have ribbon tweats, and they are great sounding spappy highs.

I would not use the crossover in the deck, I am not to fond of doing that yet. I still like the good ol electronic 2 or 3 ways.

Hope that bit of info helps you

Kynan

and thats the MOST common mistake in car auido history!....finding out how it sounds AFTER its installed!....and TOO many speekers!....the midrange& higher freq. are CRITICAL to sound quality!...lots of speekers playin the SAME frequency is a common problem!...and the path lenth of the point source.....the factory speeker placement DID not have sound quality in mind when they built these cars!....oh well..thats just my O2 tho joe ;)

Back